across top: ELIZABETH DAUGHTER OF SR ROBT THROCKMORTON BART; on reverse: peint par N de Largillierre / 1729
Commissioned by the brother of the sitter, Sir Robert Throckmorton, 4th Baronet [1702-1791], and placed in the parlor of Weston Underwood, Buckinghamshire (transferred to the Throckmorton manor house of Coughton Court in Warwickshire by 1855); by inheritance in succession to Robert Throckmorton's three grandsons, Sir John Courtenay Throckmorton, 5th Baronet [1753-1819], Sir George Throckmorton, 6th Baronet [1754-1826], and Sir Charles Throckmorton, 7th Baronet [1757-1840], all of Coughton Court; by inheritance to their nephew, Sir Robert George Throckmorton, 8th Baronet [1800-1862], Coughton Court; by inheritance in succession to his sons, Sir Nicholas William George Throckmorton, 9th Baronet [1838-1919] and Sir Richard Charles Acton Throckmorton, 10th Baronet [1819-1927], both of Coughton Court; by inheritance to his grandson, Sir Robert George Maxwell Throckmorton, 11th Baronet [1908-1989], Coughton Court; (sale by order of "The Trustees of the Will of the Late Sir Nicholas Throckmorton, Bart.," Christie, Manson & Woods, London, 26 June 1964, no. 68); (Thos. Agnew and Sons, Ltd., London); sold 29 October 1964 to NGA.
Associated NamesAgnew & Sons, Ltd., Thomas
Christie, Manson & Woods, Ltd.
Throckmorton, 10th Bart, Richard Charles Acton, Sir
Throckmorton, 11th Bart., Robert George Maxwell, Sir
Throckmorton, 4th Bart, Robert, Sir
Throckmorton, 5th Bart., John Courtenay, Sir
Throckmorton, 6th Bart., George, Sir
Throckmorton, 7th Bart., Charles, Sir
Throckmorton, 8th Bart., Robert George, Sir
Throckmorton, 9th Bart., Nicholas William George, Sir
- European Old Masters, City of Manchester Art Gallery, 1957, no. 173, as Elizabeth Throckmorton in a Dominican Habit.
- In Memoriam, Ailsa Mellon Bruce, National Gallery of Art, Washington, D.C., 1969, unnumbered checklist.
- Summary Catalogue of European Paintings and Sculpture. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1965: 73.
- Cairns, Huntington, and John Walker, eds. A Pageant of Painting from the National Gallery of Art. 2 vols. New York, 1966: 2:298, color repro.
- European Paintings and Sculpture, Illustrations. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1968: 63, repro.
- European Paintings: An Illustrated Summary Catalogue. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1975: 188, repro.
- Watson, Ross. The National Gallery of Art, Washington. New York, 1979: 81, pl. 69.
- Walker, John. National Gallery of Art, Washington. Rev. ed. New York, 1984: 324, no. 429, color repro.
- European Paintings: An Illustrated Catalogue. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1985: 221, repro.
- Rosenberg, Pierre. Only in America: One Hundred Paintings in American Museums Unmatched in European Collections. Milan, 2006: 124-125, 232, 238, color fig.
- Conisbee, Philip, et al. French Paintings of the Fifteenth through the Eighteenth Century. The Collections of the National Gallery of Art Systematic Catalogue. Washington, D.C., 2009: no. 68, 303-310, color repro.
- Marshall, Peter, and Geoffrey Scott, eds. Catholic Gentry in English Society: The Throckmortons of Coughton from Reformation to Emancipation. Farnham and Burlington, 2009: 190-192, 195, 196 fig. 7.4b.