lower right: J. H. Twachtman
Purchased c. 1900 from the artist by Mrs. Lucius Horatio Bigelow [née Anna Gates Graham, 1848-1919], New York; by inheritance to her daughter, Mrs. Edward Lathrop Ballard [née Elizabeth Gates Biglow, 1876-1964], New York and Ridgefield, Connecticut; consigned to (sale, Coleman Auction Galleries, Inc., New York, 15 November 1963, no. 746, as Winter Scene); (Ira Spanierman, New York); sold 1963 to (Vose Galleries, Boston); purchased 1964 by NGA.
- Possibly Wunderlich Gallery, New York, 1891.
- John Henry Twatchman: A Retrospective Exhibition, Cincinnati Art Museum, 1966, no. 69.
- Spirit of Romanticism [Springfield Art Festival], Drury College Art Gallery, Springfield, Missouri, 1968, no cat.
- In Memoriam, Ailsa Mellon Bruce, National Gallery of Art, Washington, D.C., 1969, unnumbered checklist.
- French Impressionists Influence American Artists, Lowe Art Museum, University of Miami, Coral Gables, Florida, 1971, no. 178.
- Wilderness, Corcoran Gallery of Art, Washington, D.C., 1971, no. 162 (organized by the National Endowment for the Arts).
- American Impressionism, National Gallery of Art, Washington, D.C.; Whitney Museum of American Art, New York; Cincinnati Art Museum; North Carolina Museum of Art, Raleigh, 1973-1974, no. 65.
- Turn-of-the-Century America: Paintings, Graphics, Photographs, 1890-1910, Whitney Museum of American Art, New York; St. Louis Art Museum; Seattle Art Museum; Oakland Museum, 1977-1978, no. 77, repro.
- The Snow Show, Everson Museum of Art, Syracuse, New York, 1980, no. 97.
- John Twachtman: Connecticut Landscapes, National Gallery of Art, Washington, D.C.; Wadsworth Atheneum, Hartford, Connecticut, 1989-1990, no. 1.
- American Impressionism: Masterworks from Public and Private Collections in the United States, Fondazione Thyssen-Bornemisza, Villa Favorita, Lugano, Switzerland, 1990, no. 28.
- New Worlds from Old: 19th Century Australian & American Landscapes, National Gallery of Australia, Canberra; National Gallery of Victoria, Melbourne; Wadsworth Atheneum, Hartford; Corcoran Gallery of Art, Washington, D.C., 1998-1999, no. 100, repro.
- John Henry Twachtman: An American Impressionist, Cincinnati Art Museum; Pennsylvania Academy of the Fine Arts, Philadelphia; High Museum of Art, Atlanta, 2000, no. 49, repro. (shown only in Atlanta).
- Expanding Horizons: American and Canadian Painting and Photography: 1860-1918, Montreal Museum of Fine Arts; Vancouver Art Gallery,, 2009-2010, no 25, repro.
- American Paintings and Sculpture: An Illustrated Catalogue. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1970: 118, repro.
- Boyle, Richard J. John Twachtman. New York, 1979: 17, 42, color repro. 43.
- American Paintings: An Illustrated Catalogue. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1980: 251, repro.
- Wilmerding, John. American Masterpieces from the National Gallery of Art. National Gallery of Art, Washington, D.C., 1980: 138, no. 50, color repro.
- Williams, William James. A Heritage of American Paintings from the National Gallery of Art. New York, 1981: color repro. 164-5, 193.
- Wilmerding, John. American Masterpieces from the National Gallery of Art. Rev. ed. National Gallery of Art, Washington, D.C., 1988: 158, no. 56, color repro.
- Chotner, Deborah, Lisa N. Peters, and Kathleen Pyne. John Twachtman: Connecticut Landscapes. Exh. cat. National Gallery of Art, Washington, D.C., 1989: 27, 54.
- American Paintings: An Illustrated Catalogue. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1992: 370, repro.
- Pyne, Kathleen. "Resisting Modernism: American Painting in the Culture of Conflict." In Thomas Gaehtgens and Heinz Ickstadt, eds., American Icons: Transatlantic Perspectives and Nineteenth-Century American Art. Santa Monica, California, 1992.
- Torchia, Robert Wilson, with Deborah Chotner and Ellen G. Miles. American Paintings of the Nineteenth Century, Part II. The Collections of the National Gallery of Art Systematic Catalogue. Washington, D.C., 1998: 203-206, color repro.
- Hand, John Oliver. National Gallery of Art: Master Paintings from the Collection. Washington and New York, 2004: 335, no. 269, color repro.
- Miller, Angela et al. American Encounters: Art, History, and Cultural Identity. Upper Saddle River, NJ, 2008: 329, color fig. 10.7.