lower left on card: A/99; upper center on board in pink paint: 270; lower right on board on small piece of white paper, mechanically printed numeral: 8; reverse in graphite: 266
George Catlin [1796-1872]; by descent to his daughters, Clara Gregory Catlin, Louise Catlin Kinney, and Elizabeth Wing Catlin; purchased 1912 from Elizabeth Wing Catlin by the American Museum of Natural History; sold 1959 through (Kennedy Galleries, New York) to Mr. Paul Mellon, Upperville, VA; gift 1965 to the NGA.
- Indiens des deux Ameriques, Salle du Jardin Botanique, Brussels, 1870, no. 270.
- Catlin's Indian Cartoons, Somerville Gallery, New York, 1871, no. 266.
- Smithsonian Institution, Washington, D.C., 1872.
- Possibly Centennial Exhibition, Philadelphia, 1876.
- George Catlin, American Indians: Paintings from The Collection of the American Museum of Natural History, Kennedy Galleries, Inc., New York, 1956.
- Loan for display with permanent collection, Buffalo Bill Historical Center, Cody, Wyoming, 1964-1974.
- Extended loan for use by the Ambassador, U.S. Embassy residence, Kuwait, 1976-1979.
- Extended loan for use by The Supreme Court of the United States, Washington, D.C., 1981-
- American Paintings and Sculpture: An Illustrated Catalogue. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1970: 31.
- American Paintings: An Illustrated Catalogue. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1980: 44, repro.
- American Paintings: An Illustrated Catalogue. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1992: 50, repro.