George Catlin [1796-1872]; by descent to his daughters, Clara Gregory Catlin, Louise Catlin Kinney, and Elizabeth Wing Catlin; purchased 1912 from Elizabeth Wing Catlin by the American Museum of Natural History; sold 1959 through (Kennedy Galleries, New York) to Mr. Paul Mellon, Upperville, VA; gift 1965 to the NGA.
Associated NamesMellon, Paul
- Loan for display with permanent collection, The Metropolitan Museum of Art, New York, 1965-1966 (loan to Three Centuries exhibition was extended).
- Three Centuries of American Painting, The Metropolitan Museum of Art, New York, 1965.
- The American West: Painters from Catlin to Russell, Los Angeles County Museum of Art; M. H. de Young Memorial Museum, San Francisco; The St. Louis Art Museum, 1972, no. 20.
- American Indian Life: Paintings by George Catlin, National Gallery of Art, Washington, D.C., 1980.
- The Art of Healing: Medicin and Science in American Art, Birmingham Museum of Art, Alabama, 1981, repro.
- George Catlin: Pioneer Painter of the North American Indian, Montclair Art Museum, New Jersey, 1985-1986.
- American Paintings and Sculpture: An Illustrated Catalogue. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1970: 27, repro. 23.
- American Paintings: An Illustrated Catalogue. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1980: 101, repro.
- Williams, William James. A Heritage of American Paintings from the National Gallery of Art. New York, 1981: 79, color repro. 91.
- American Paintings: An Illustrated Catalogue. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1992: 88, repro.
- Gurney, George, and Therese Thau Heyman, eds. George Catlin and His Indian Gallery. Exh. cat. Renwick Gallery of the Smithsonian American Art Museum, Washington, D.C., 2002-2003. Washington, 2002: 73, 74 fig. 13.