George Catlin [1796-1872]; by descent to his daughters, Clara Gregory Catlin, Louise Catlin Kinney, and Elizabeth Wing Catlin; purchased 1912 from Elizabeth Wing Catlin by the American Museum of Natural History; sold 1959 through (Kennedy Galleries, New York) to Mr. Paul Mellon, Upperville, VA; gift 1965 to the NGA.
Associated NamesMellon, Paul
- Loan for display with permanent collection, The Metropolitan Museum of Art, New York, 1965-1966 (loan to Three Centuries exhibition was extended).
- Three Centuries of American Painting, The Metropolitan Museum of Art, New York, 1965.
- The American West: Painters from Catlin to Russell, Los Angeles County Museum of Art; M. H. de Young Memorial Museum, San Francisco; The St. Louis Art Museum, 1972, no. 19.
- American Indian Life: Paintings by George Catlin, National Gallery of Art, Washington, D.C., 1980.
- George Catlin, Amon Carter Museum, Fort Worth, 1981-1982.
- America: Art and the West, Art Gallery of Western Australia, Perth; Art Gallery of New South Wales, Sydney, 1986-1987, no. 4, repro.
- America: The New World in 19th-Century Painting, Österreichische Galerie Belvedere, Vienna, 1999, no. 56, repro.
- Art in America: 300 Years of Innovation, National Art Museum of China, Beijing; Shanghai Museum; The State Pushkin Museum of Fine Arts, Moscow; Museo Guggenheim Bilbao, 2007-2008, unnumbered catalogue, repro.
- American Paintings and Sculpture: An Illustrated Catalogue. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1970: 27, repro. 25.
- Truettner, William H. The Natural Man Observed: A Study of Catlin's Indian Gallery. Washington, D.C., 1979: 294.
- American Paintings: An Illustrated Catalogue. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1980: 124, repro.
- Wilmerding, John. American Masterpieces from the National Gallery of Art. National Gallery of Art, Washington, D.C., 1980: no. 18, color repro.
- Walker, John. National Gallery of Art, Washington. Rev. ed. New York, 1984: 548, no. 829, color repro.
- Wilmerding, John. American Masterpieces from the National Gallery of Art. Rev. ed. National Gallery of Art, Washington, D.C., 1988: 84, no. 19, color repro.
- American Paintings: An Illustrated Catalogue. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1992: 105, repro.
- Fiero, Gloria K. The Humanistic Tradition: Romanticism, Realism, and the Nineteenth-Century World. Madison, 1998, no. 27.15, repro.
- Gurney, George, and Therese Thau Heyman, eds. George Catlin and His Indian Gallery. Exh. cat. Renwick Gallery of the Smithsonian American Art Museum, Washington, D.C., 2002-2003. Washington, D.C., 2002: 70, 71 fig. 9.
- Sort by:
- Results layout: