lower left, TM in monogram: TMoran. / 1884.
Frederic René Coudert [1871-1955], New York and Oyster Bay, Long Island, at least between 1912 and 1919. Purchased c. 1965 at auction on Long Island by Mrs. Myrtle Gascoigne, Newcastle, Maine; purchased April 1967 by her children, Nancy Gascoigne [Mrs. John T.] Richards, Alexandria, Virginia, Mrs. Robert D. Halverson, Glen Cove, Long Island, New York, and Robert W. Gascoigne, Boonton, New Jersey; purchased 1 November 1967 by NGA.
- In Memoriam, Ailsa Mellon Bruce, National Gallery of Art, Washington, D.C., 1969, unnumbered checklist.
- The Beckoning Land, High Museum of Art, Atlanta, 1971, no. 70.
- The American Seascape from John Smibert to John Marin, Mansfield Art Center, Ohio, 1988, no. 36, repro.
- At the Water's Edge: 19th and 20th Century American Beach Scenes, Tampa Mus. of Art; Center for the Arts, Vero Beach; Virginia Beach Center for the Arts; The Arkansas Arts Center, Little Rock, 1989-1990, unnumbered cat., repro. (shown only in Tampa).
- Thomas Moran, National Gallery of Art, Washington, D.C.; Gilcrease Museum, Tulsa; Seattle Art Museum, 1997-1998, no. 66, repro.
- The Sea Around Us, Nassau County Museum of Art, Roslyn Harbor, 2010, no catalogue.
- Tracing Moran's Romanticism & Symbolism, Guild Hall Museum, East Hampton, 2013-2014, no catalogue.
- Peindre l'Amerique. Les artistes du Nouveau Monde 1830-1900, Fondation de l'Hermitage, Lausanne, 2014, no. 12, repro.
- Hokusai and Japonisme, The National Museum of Western Art, Tokyo, 2017-2018.
- Wilkins, Thurman. Thomas Moran: Artist of the Mountains. Norman, Oklahoma, 1966.
- American Paintings and Sculpture: An Illustrated Catalogue. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1970: 82, repro.
- The Beckoning Land: Nature and the American Artist, A Selection of Nineteenth Century Paintings. Atlanta, 1971: 29, 90.
- American Paintings: An Illustrated Catalogue. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1980: 199, repro.
- Wilmerding, John. American Masterpieces from the National Gallery of Art. National Gallery of Art, Washington, D.C., 1980: 136, repro.
- Williams, William James. A Heritage of American Paintings from the National Gallery of Art. New York, 1981: 183, 184, repro. 185.
- Walker, John. National Gallery of Art, Washington. Rev. ed. New York, 1984: 557, no. 845, color repro.
- Bruhn, Thomas P. American Etching: The 1880s. Storrs, Connecticut, 1985: 34-36, 42-44.
- Morand, Anne, and Nancy Friese. The Prints of Thomas Moran in the Thomas Gilcrease Institute of American History and Art. Tulsa, Oklahoma, 1986: 18, 44, 136.
- Wilmerding, John. American Masterpieces from the National Gallery of Art. Rev. ed. National Gallery of Art, Washington, D.C., 1988: 156, repro.
- At the Water's Edge: Nineteenth- and Twentieth-Century American Beach Scenes. Tampa, 1989: 58.
- American Paintings: An Illustrated Catalogue. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1992: 237, repro.
- Torchia, Robert Wilson, with Deborah Chotner and Ellen G. Miles. American Paintings of the Nineteenth Century, Part II. The Collections of the National Gallery of Art Systematic Catalogue. Washington, D.C., 1998: 11-14, color repro.