Falsely upper right: h.D.
Acquired between 1952-1955 by Captain Edward H. Molyneux [1891-1974], Paris, France; sold 15 August 1955 to Ailsa Mellon Bruce [1901-1969], New York; bequest 1970 to NGA.
- Hampton National Historic Site, Towson, MD, May - October 1956
- Paintings from the Collection of Mrs. Mellon Bruce, Society of the Four Arts, Palm Beach, 1958, no. 27, as Daumier.
- French Paintings of the Nineteenth Century from the Collection of Mrs. Mellon Bruce, California Palace of the Legion of Honor, San Francisco, 1961, no. 16, repro
- European Paintings: An Illustrated Summary Catalogue. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1975: 94, repro.
- European Paintings: An Illustrated Catalogue. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1985: 115, repro.
- Eitner, Lorenz. French Paintings of the Nineteenth Century, Part I: Before Impressionism. The Collections of the National Gallery of Art Systematic Catalogue. Washington, D.C., 2000: 189-190, repro., as Manner of Honoré Daumier.