(sale, Hôtel Drouot, Paris, 23 November 1910, no. 33); purchased by Druet. Capt. Edward H. Molyneux [1891-1974], Paris, by 1952; by whom sold 15 August 1955 to Ailsa Mellon Bruce [1901-1969], New York; bequest 1970 to NGA.
According to a label on the stretcher, this figured as number 275 in a Druet catalogue, but this catalogue has not been discovered. Previously the number has been misidentified with the 9 July 1942 sale at Drouot, but that sale did not include this picture. Nor was the picture in the 2 March 1939 sale of the Druet collection.
- French Paintings from the Molyneux Collection, National Gallery of Art, Washington, D.C.; Museum of Modern Art, New York, 1952, unnumbered checklist, as by Edouard Manet.
- Hampton National Historic Site, Towson, MD, May - October 1956
- Paintings from the Collection of Mrs. Mellon Bruce, Society of the Four Arts, Palm Beach, 1958, no. 30, as by Manet
- French Paintings of the Nineteenth Century from the Collection of Mrs. Mellon Bruce, California Palace of the Legion of Honor, San Francisco, 1961, no. 23, repro., as by Manet.
- Jamot, Paul, and Georges Wildenstein. Manet. 2 vols. Paris, 1932: 1:no. 310.
- Tabarant, Adolphe. Manet et ses oeuvres. Paris, 1947: 333-4
- European Paintings: An Illustrated Summary Catalogue. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1975: 212, repro.
- European Paintings: An Illustrated Catalogue. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1985: 247, repro.