lower left: Renoir.
Purchased 22 October 1912 from the artist by (Durand-Ruel, Paris, stock no. 10150); sold 3 January 1913 to (Durand-Ruel, New York, stock no. 3626); sold 4 May 1936 to Howard Pretzel. Capt. Edward H. Molyneux [1891-1974], Paris, by 1952; sold 15 August 1955 to Ailsa Mellon Bruce [1901-1969], New York; bequest 1970 to NGA.
- French Paintings from the Molyneux Collection, National Gallery of Art, Washington, D.C.; Museum of Modern Art, New York, 1952, unnumbered checklist, as White Houses at Cagnes.
- French Paintings of the Nineteenth Century from the Collection of Mrs. Mellon Bruce, California Palace of the Legion of Honor, San Francisco, 1961, no. 54, repro
- European Paintings: An Illustrated Summary Catalogue. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1975: 302, repro.
- Small French Paintings from the Bequest of Ailsa Mellon Bruce. Exh. cat. National Gallery of Art, Washington, D.C., 1978: 70, repro. (continuing exhibition beginning in 1978).
- European Paintings: An Illustrated Catalogue. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1985: 347, repro.