lower left: E Vuillard
Sold by the artist 1903 to (Bernheim-Jeune, Paris); sold 1904 to (Paul Rosenberg and Co., London, New York, and Paris). Isaac, comte de Camondo [1851-1911], Paris; Mme Bertrand Laporte, Paris; sold 1958 (Wildenstein & Co., London, New York and Paris); sold 30 September 1959 to Ailsa Mellon Bruce [1901-1969], New York; bequest 1970 to NGA.
- French Paintings of the Nineteenth Century from the Collection of Mrs. Mellon Bruce, California Palace of the Legion of Honor, San Francisco, 1961, no. 74, repro., as Vase of Flowers on Table with Books.
- Vuillard, Wildenstein & Co., New York, 1964, no. 19, repro.
- French Paintings from the Collections of Mr. and Mrs. Paul Mellon and Mrs. Mellon Bruce, National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1966, no. 176, repro
- Small French Paintings from the Bequest of Ailsa Mellon Bruce, National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1978, unnumbered catalogue, p. 108
- Intimate Impressionism from the National Gallery of Art, Museo dell'Ara Pacis Augustae, Rome (exhibition title in this venue: Impressionist Gems); Fine Arts Museums of San Francisco; McNay Art Museum, San Antonio; Mitsubishi Ichigokan Museum, Tokyo, Seattle Art Museum, 2013-2015.
- Young, Mahonri Sharp. "The Mellon Collections: The Great Years of French Painting." Apollo 83 (June 1966): 434, repro.
- European Paintings: An Illustrated Summary Catalogue. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1975: 374, repro.
- Small French Paintings from the Bequest of Ailsa Mellon Bruce. Exh. cat. National Gallery of Art, Washington, D.C., 1978: 108, repro. (continuing exhibition beginning in 1978).
- Walker, John. National Gallery of Art, Washington. Rev. ed. New York, 1984: 583, no. 891, color repro.
- European Paintings: An Illustrated Catalogue. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1985: 433, repro.
- Salomon, Antoine, and Guy Cogeval. Vuillard, The Inexhaustible Glance: Critical Catalogue of Paintings and Pastels. 3 vols. Milan and Paris, 2003: 2:no. VII-261, repro., as Moss Roses on a Paint Box.