lower right in graphite: M.C
Captain Edward H. Molyneux, Paris, France, c. 1952; Ailsa Mellon Bruce, New York, 1955; acquired 1970 by the National Gallery of Art
- Figure Drawings from the National Gallery's Collection, Washington, D.C., 1985.
- French Paintings of the Nineteenth Century from the Collection of Mrs. Mellon Bruce. Exh. cat. California Palace of the Legion of Honor, San Francisco, 1961: 12.
- Breeskin, Adelyn Dohme. Mary Cassatt: A Catalogue Raisonné of the Oils, Pastels, Watercolors, and Drawings. Washington, DC: Smithsonian Institution Press, 1970, no. 771.
- Wadley, Nicholas. Impressionist and Post-Impressionist Drawing. London, 1991: no. 18.
- Smagula, Howard J. Creative Drawing. London: Brown & Benchmark, 1993 (reproduced only, p.2.6).