lower right: W. Glackens
The artist [1870-1938], New York; by inheritance to his wife, Edith Dimock Glackens [d. 1955], New York and Hartford; by inheritance to their son, Ira Glackens [1907-1990], Center Conway, New Hampshire, and Washington, D.C.; gift 1971 to NGA.
- International Exhibition of Modern Art [The Armory Show], Association of American Painters and Sculptors, Armory of the Sixty-Ninth Infantry, New York, 1913, no. 853 (not shown in Chicago or Boston).
- One Hundred and Ninth Annual Exhibition, Pennsylvania Academy of the Fine Arts, Philadelphia, 1914, no. 462.
- Panama-Pacific International Exposition, San Francisco, 1915, no. 2468.
- New York Realists 1900-1914, Whitney Museum of American Art, New York, 1937, no. 61, repro.
- William Glackens Memorial Exhibition, Whitney Museum of American Art, New York, 1938-1939, no. 61, repro.
- Memorial Exhibition of Works by William J. Glackens, Carnegie Institute, Pittsburgh, 1939, no. 14, repro.
- 20th Century Portraits, Museum of Modern Art, New York, 1942, unnumbered catalogue, repro.
- Artists of the Philadelphia Press: William Glackens, George Luks, Everett Shinn, John Sloan, Philadelphia Museum of Art, 1945, no. 9, repro.
- The One Hundred and Fiftieth Anniverary Exhibition, Pennsylvania Academy of the Fine Arts, Philadelphia, 1955, no. 210.
- Face of America: The History of Portraiture in the United States, Brooklyn Museum, 1957-1958, no. 82, repro.
- 1913 Armory Show - 50th Anniversary Exhibition, Munson-Williams-Proctor Institute, Utica; Armory of the Sixty-ninth Regiment, New York, 1963, no. 853 (catalogue uses original Armory Show numbers).
- William Glackens in Retrospect, City Art Museum of St. Louis; National Collection of Fine Arts, Washington, D.C.; Whitney Museum of American Art, New York, 1966-1967, no. 33, repro.
- 25th Anniversary Exhibition: Selected American Paintings 1750-1950, The Westmoreland County Museum of Art, Greensburg, Pennsylvania, 1984, no. 48, pl. 76.
- Painters of a New Century: The Eight, Milwaukee Art Museum; The Denver Art Museum; National Gallery of Canada, Ottawa; Brooklyn Museum, 1991-1992, no. 69, repro. (not shown in Ottawa).
- Idol of the Moderns: Pierre-Auguste Renoir and American Painting, San Diego Museum of Art; El Paso Museum of Art, 2002-2003, no cat.
- Face Forward: American Portraits from Sargent to the Present, Vero Beach Museum of Art, 2008, no catalogue.
- The New Spirit: American Art in the Armory Show, 1913, Montclair Art Museum, 2013, no. 15, repro.
- William Glackens, Museum of Art, Fort Lauderdale; The Parrish Art Museum, Water Mill, New York; The Barnes Foundation, Philadelphia, 2014-2015, pl. 39.
- American Paintings: An Illustrated Catalogue. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1980: 165, repro.
- Wilmerding, John. American Masterpieces from the National Gallery of Art. National Gallery of Art, Washington, D.C., 1980: 148, repro.
- Williams, William James. A Heritage of American Paintings from the National Gallery of Art. New York, 1981: color repro. 168, 207-8.
- Walker, John. National Gallery of Art, Washington. Rev. ed. New York, 1984: 572, no. 872, color repro.
- Wilmerding, John. American Masterpieces from the National Gallery of Art. Rev. ed. National Gallery of Art, Washington, D.C., 1988: 170, repro.
- Milroy, Elizabeth. Painters of a New Century: The Eight & American Art. Exh. cat. Milwaukee Art Museum, traveling exhibition. Milwaukee, 1991: 175, 180, no. 69.
- American Paintings: An Illustrated Catalogue. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1992: 187, repro.