Baron de Saint-Julien; (his sale, Hôtel de Bullion, Paris, 21 June 1784 and days following, no. 69 [a pair of Chardin still lifes]); Dulac. Peter Adolf Hall [1739-1793], Paris; by inheritance in his family to a descendant of his daughter Lucie; (sale, Galerie Georges Petit, Paris, 13 March 1922, no. 9); (Wildenstein & Co., Inc., Paris, New York, and London); sold to William R. [1866-1949] and Lillian S. [1881-1959] Timken, New York, by 1933; (Paul Drey, New York); purchased May 1937 by W. Averell [1891-1986] and Marie N.[1903-1970] Harriman, New York; W. Averell Harriman Foundation, New York; gift 1972 to NGA.
- Exposition Chardin et Fragonard, Galeries Georges Petit, Paris, 1907, no. 6.
- French Painting and Sculpture of the XVIII Century, The Metropolitan Museum of Art, New York, 1935-1936, no. 25, repro.
- Chardin and the Modern Still Life, Marie Harriman Gallery, New York, 1936.
- The Painters of Still Life, Wadsworth Atheneum, Hartford, 1938, no. 53, repro.
- Contemporary French Paintings from the Collection of Governor and Mrs. Averell Harriman, Albany Institute of History and Art, 1955, no cat.
- Pictures Collected by Yale Alumni, Yale University Art Gallery, New Haven, 1956, no. 21, repro.
- Trends in Painting 1600-1800, Albright Art Gallery, Buffalo, 1957, unnumbered catalogue, repro.
- Summer loan exhibition, The Metropolitan Museum of Art, New York, 1958, no cat.
- Exhibition of the Marie and Averell Harriman Collection, National Gallery of Art, Washington, D.C., 1961, unnumbered catalogue, repro. 9.
- Loan for display with permanent collection, Art Museum of South Texas, Corpus Christi, 1974-1976.
- Fragonard and His Friends: Changing Ideals in Eighteenth Century Art, Museum of Fine Arts, St. Petersburg, Florida, 1982-1983, no. 30, repro.
- European Paintings: An Illustrated Summary Catalogue. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1975: 68, repro.
- Rosenberg, Pierre. L'opera completa di Chardin. Milan, 1983: no. 169, repro.
- Walker, John. National Gallery of Art, Washington. Rev. ed. New York, 1984: 323, no. 424, color repro.
- European Paintings: An Illustrated Catalogue. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1985: 87, repro.
- Roland Michel, Marianne. Chardin. Paris, 1994:178.
- The Arts of France from François Ier to Napoléon Ier. A Centennial Celebration of Wildenstein's Presence in New York. Exh. cat. Wildenstein & Co., Inc., New York, 2005: 78 (not in the exhibition).
- Conisbee, Philip, et al. French Paintings of the Fifteenth through the Eighteenth Century. The Collections of the National Gallery of Art Systematic Catalogue. Washington, D.C., 2009: no. 18, 92-95, color repro.