lower right: Degas / 85
Dikran Khan Kélékian, Paris and New York; (his sale, American Art Association, New York, 30-31 January 1922, 2nd day, no. 153, as The Bather). Neuman. Gerald Brooks; Mrs. Helen Brooks; purchased June 1936 by Marie N. [1903-1970] and W. Averell [1891-1986]Harriman, New York and Washington, D.C.; W. Averell Harriman Foundation; gift 1972 to NGA.
- Possibly La 8me Exposition de Peinture [Eighth Impressionist Exhibition], Paris, 1886.
- Loan Exhibition of Impressionist and Post-Impressionist Paintings, The Metropolitan Museum of Art, New York, May-September 1921, no. 32, as The Bather.
- Paintings by Modern French Masters representing the Post-Impressionists and their Predecessors, Brooklyn Museum, New York, March-April 1921, probably no. 79, as Woman drying her arms.
- [untitled exhibition; first showing of a portion of the Kélékian collection], Brooklyn Museum, February 1921, no cat.
- French Painting, Marie Harriman Gallery, New York, 1937, no. 4.
- Modern French Masters: Important Paintings, Marie Harriman Gallery, New York, 1939, no. 2.
- Exhibition of the Marie and Averell Harriman Collection, National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1961, unnumbered catalogue, repro. 18.
- The New Painting: Impressionism 1874-1886, National Gallery of Art, Washington, D.C.; The Fine Arts Museums of San Francisco, M. H. de Young Memorial Museum, 1986, no. 140 (shown only in Washington).
- Degas and the Nude, Museum of Fine Arts, Boston; Musée d'Orsay, Paris, 2011-2012, fig. 141.
- European Paintings: An Illustrated Summary Catalogue. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1975: 100, repro.
- Brame/Reff 1984, 113.
- Walker, John. National Gallery of Art, Washington. Rev. ed. New York, 1984: 478, no. 703, color repro.
- European Paintings: An Illustrated Catalogue. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1985: 122, repro.
- The New Painting: Impressionism 1874-1886. Exh. cat. The Fine Arts Museums of San Francisco; National Gallery of Art, Washington. San Francisco, 1986: 140.
- The Art of Paul Gauguin. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1988: 83.
- Callen, Anthea. The Spectacular Body: Science, Method, and Meaning in the Work of Degas. New Haven and London, 1995: fig. 90.
- Kendall, Richard. Beyond Impressionism. London, 1996: 141-142, fig. 162.
- Lloyd, Christopher. Edgar Degas: drawings and pastels. Los Angeles, J. Paul Getty Museum, 236.