lower right: Walt Kuhn / 1933
The artist [1877-1949]; his estate; (Maynard Walker Gallery, New York); purchased 20 December 1957 by W. Averell [1891-1986] and Marie N. [1903-1970] Harriman, New York; W. Averell Harriman Foundation, New York; gift 1972 to NGA.
- Walt Kuhn, Willard Straight Hall, Cornell University, Ithaca, New York, 1942.
- Walt Kuhn, Karl Knaths, Phillips Memorial Gallery, Washington, D.C., 1944, no. 1.
- An American Show, Cincinnati Art Museum, 1948, no. 32.
- Walt Kuhn, Albany Institute of History and Art, 1958, no. 9.
- Walt Kuhn 1877-1949: A Memorial Exhibition, Cincinnati Art Museum, 1960, no. 60, repro.
- Exhibition of the Marie and Averell Harriman Collection, National Gallery of Art, Washington, D.C., 1961, unnumbered catalogue, repro. 46.
- Walt Kuhn: Paintings, Drawings, Carvings, Nasson College, Springvale, Maine, 1964, no. 8.
- Walt Kuhn: A Classic Revival, Amon Carter Museum of Western Art, Fort Worth; Joslyn Art Museum, Omaha; Wichita Art Museum; Colorado Springs Fine Arts Center, 1978-1979, no. 23.
- Extended loan for use by Ambassador Stuart, U.S. Embassy residence, Oslo, Norway, 1985-1989.
- Extended loan for use by Secretary Jack Kemp, U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development, Washington, D.C., 1990-1993.
- Extended loan for use by Secretary Henry G. Cisneros, U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development, Washington, D.C., 1993-1997.
- Adams, Philip Rhys. Walt Kuhn, Painter: His Life and Work. Columbus, OH, 1978: 156, 261, no. 312, pl. 90.
- American Paintings: An Illustrated Catalogue. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1980: 191, repro.
- American Paintings: An Illustrated Catalogue. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1992: 223, repro.