lower right: Henri-Matisse
Possibly Paul Guillaume. Baron S. Fukushima, Paris; purchased January 1931 by Marie N. Harriman [1903-1970] and William Averell Harriman [1891-1986], New York; W. Averell Harriman Foundation; gift 1972 to NGA.
- French Paintings, Marie Harriman Gallery, New York, 1931, no. 6, as Le plateau marocain.
- Henri Matisse, Galeries Georges Petit, Paris, 1931, no. 115, as Le plateau marocain.
- French Paintings, Marie Harriman Gallery, New York, 1933, no. 6
- Still Life, Philadelphia Museum of Art, 1934, unnumbered checklist
- Modern French Masters, Marie Harriman Gallery, New York, 1939, no. 6, as Still Life
- Exhibition of the Marie and Averell Harriman Collection, National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1961, unnumbered catalogue, repro. 29
- Loan for display with permanent collection, Art Museum of South Texas, Corpus Christi, 1976-1977
- Matisse, The National Museum of Modern Art, Kyoto, 1981, no. 66, repro.
- Extended Loan to the White House for use by President George W. Bush, 1999-2003.
- Henri Matisse, Moderna Museet, Stockholm; Louisiana Museum of Modern Art, Denmark, 1984-1985, no. 57
- Impressionisti della National Gallery of Art di Washington, Ala Napoleonica e Museo Correr, Venice; Palazzo Reale, Milan, 1989, unnumbered catalogue, repro.
- Extended Loan for use by The White House, Washington, D.C., 1999-2004.
- European Art Between the Wars, Nassau County Museum of Art, Roslyn Harbor, 2004, unnumbered catalogue.
- Collection Conversations: The Chrysler and the National Gallery, Chrysler Museum of Art, Norfolk, 2015, no catalogue.
- European Paintings: An Illustrated Summary Catalogue. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1975: 230, repro.
- Walker, John. National Gallery of Art, Washington. Rev. ed. New York, 1984: 594, no. 918, color repro.
- European Paintings: An Illustrated Catalogue. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1985: 263, repro.