lower right initials in monogram followed by rest of last name: THLautrec / 91
(Jos Hessel, Paris), by 1926. Gerald Brooks [d. 1936], New York, by 1931; by inheritance to Mrs. Helen Brooks, New York; sold June 1936 to (Marie Harriman Gallery, New York); W. Averell Harriman [1891-1986], New York; W. Averell Harriman Foundation, New York; gift 1972 to NGA.
- Loan Exhibition of Impressionist and Post-Impressionist Paintings, The Metropolitan Museum of Art, New York, 1921, no. 117, repro.
- Trent ans d'art indépendant 1884-1914, Grand Palais des Champs-Elysées, no. 3248
- Loan Exhibition of Paintings, Drawings, Prints, and Posters by Henri de Toulouse-Lautrec, The Art Institute of Chicago, 1931, no. 16, repro.
- Exhibition of Important Paintings by Great French Masters of the Nineteenth Century. Durand-Ruel Galleries, New York, 1934, no. 28, repro.
- Exhibition of French Masters from Courbet to Seurat, Jacques Seligmann & Co., New York, 1937, no. 20
- French Painting, Marie Harriman Gallery, New York, 1937, no. 19
- Toulouse-Lautrec: Paintings - Drawings - Posters, M. Knoedler & Co., New York, 1937, no. 8
- Modern French Masters, Marie Harriman Gallery, New York, 1939, no. 14
- Golden Gate International Exposition, San Francisco, 1940, no. 305, repro.
- Aspects of French Painting from Cezanne to Picasso, Los Angeles County Museum, 1941, no. 47, repro.
- Corot to Van Gogh, Paul Rosenberg & Co., New York, 1942, no. 10, repro.
- Loan Exhibition of Masterpieces of Painting, Art Association of Montreal, 1942, no. 76
- A Loan Exhibition of Toulouse-Lautrec, Wildenstein & Co., New York, 1946, no. 14, repro.
- Nineteenth Century French Paintings, Yale University Art Gallery, New Haven, 1950, no. 20, repro.
- Paintings by Impressionists and Post-Impressionists, Virginia Museum of Fine Arts, Richmond, 1950, no cat.
- Toulouse-Lautrec, Philadelphia Museum of Art, 1955, no. 23, repro.
- French Painting of the Last Half of the Nineteenth Century, The North Carolina Museum of Art, Raleigh, 1956, unnumbered cat., repro.
- Henri de Toulouse-Lautrec: A Loan Exhibition of Paintings, Drawings, Prints, and Posters, Los Angeles Municipal Art Gallery, 1959, no. 10, repro.
- Exhibition of the Marie and Averell Harriman Collection, National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1961, unnumbered catalogue, repro. 22
- Impressionist and Post-Impressionist Masterpieces from the National Gallery of Art, Washington, State Hermitage Museum, Leningrad; State Pushkin Museum of Fine Arts, Moscow, 1986, no. 40, repro.
- Impressionist and Post-Impressionist Masterpieces from the National Gallery of Art, The Museum of Fine Arts, Houston; The National Art Center, Tokyo; Kyoto Municipal Museum of Art, 2011, no. 49, repro.
- Toulouse-Lautrec: Paris & the Moulin Rouge, National Gallery of Australia, Canberra, 2012-2013, unnumbered catalogue, repro.
- Dortu, M.G. Toulouse-Lautrec et son oeuvre. 6 vols. New York, 1971:II:P395, repro.
- European Paintings: An Illustrated Summary Catalogue. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1975: 352, repro.
- Walker, John. National Gallery of Art, Washington. Rev. ed. New York, 1984: 529, no. 797, color repro.
- European Paintings: An Illustrated Catalogue. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1985: 403, repro.
- Halpine, Susana M. "An Investigation of Artists' Materials Using Amino Acid Analysis: Introduction of the One-Hour Extraction Method." Studies in the History of Art 51 (1995): 58-61, repro. no. 20.