in later hand, lower left in brown ink: [?]; center verso in graphite: A Carracci; lower center verso in graphite: No 14/+3
Jan van Rijmsdijk; John Thane (Lugt 1544); Thomas Dimsdale (Lugt 2426); Samuel Woodburn, London; Sir Thomas Lawrence; repurchased by Samuel Woodburn from Lawrence's estate; Francis Egerton, 1st Earl of Ellesmere (Lugt 2710b) and by descent (Sale, Sotheby's, London, 11 July 1972, no. 95 (as a "Fisherman"); (Thomas Agnew & Sons, London); NGA purchase in 1974.
- Sixth exhibition. A Catalogue of One Hundred Original Drawings by Ludovico, Agostino, and Annibal Carracci, 1836, "The Lawrence Gallery" (at Mr. Woodburn's Gallery), no. 94 (as Annibale Carracci).
- Drawings by Old Masters, Royal Academy of Arts, London, 1953: no. 156 (as Annibale Carracci).
- The Ellesmere Collection of Old Master Drawings, Leicester Museums and Art Gallery, 1954: no. 105.
- Drawings by the Carracci and Other Masters from the Collection of the Earl of Ellesmere, P. & D. Colnaghi, London, 1955: no. 41.
- NGA Master Drawings 1978, p. 70-71 (as A Fisherman with His Net).
- Guercino, Master Draftsman: Works from North American Collections, Sackler Museum, Harvard Unviersity, Cambridge, 1991; National Gallery of Canada, Ottawa, and Cleveland Museum of Art, 1991, no. 78.
- Catalogue of the Ellesmere Collection of Drawings at Bridgewater House. London, 1898: no. 83 (as Annibale Carracci).
- Bodmer, Heinrich. "Drawings by the Carracci: An Aesthetic Analysis," Old Master Drawings, (March 1934): plate 61 (as Annibale Carracci).
- Sutton, Denys. "The Carracci as Draughtsmen," Country Life (3 Feb. 1955): 317.
- Walker, John. National Gallery of Art, Washington. Rev. ed. New York, 1984: 671, no. 1071, color repro., as A Fisherman with His Net.
- David Stone. "Supplement: Guercino Drawings in North American Collections, A Selective Checklist," in exh. cat. Guercino, Master Draftsman, Works from North American Collections. Harvard University and elsewhere, 1991: 222, no. 160.
- Turner, Nicholas. In exh. cat. Guercino: Drawings from Windsor Castle, National Gallery of Art, Washington, D.C., 1991: 38, under no. 10.
- Tuyll van Serooskerken, Carel van, in exh. cat. Guercino (1591-1666): Drawings from Dutch Collections, Teylersmuseum, Haarlem, 1991: 146, under no. 62.