OverviewInformation on this painting can be found in the Gallery publication American Paintings of the Eighteenth Century, pages 237-240, which is available as a free PDF https://www.nga.gov/content/dam/ngaweb/research/publications/pdfs/american-paintings-18th-century.pdf
Given by the sitter to her son, Lorenzo Lewis [1803-1847], Audley, Clarke County, Virginia; his widow, Esther Maria Coxe Lewis [1804-1885], Clarke County, Virginia; their son, Edward Parke Custis Lewis [1837-1892], Hoboken, New Jersey; his son, Edwin Augustus Stevens Lewis [1870-1906], Hoboken, New Jersey; his widow, Alice Stuart Walker Lewis [1877-1973], Hoboken, New Jersey; their son, H. H. Walker Lewis [b. 1904], Baltimore; gift 1974 to NGA.
- Centennial Celebration of the Inauguration of George Washington-Loan Exhibition of Historical Portraits and Relics, Metropolitan Opera House, New York, 1889, no. 142
- Gilbert Stuart, Portraitist of the Young Republic, The National Gallery of Art; The Museum of Art, Rhode Island School of Design, Providence; Pennsylvania Academy of the Fine Arts, 1967, no. 33
- Jefferson's America & Napoleon's France: An Exhibition for the Louisiana Purchase Bicentennial, New Orleans Museum of Art, 2003, no. 143, repro.
- Stuart, Jane. "The Stuart Portraits of Washington." Scribner's Monthly 12, no. 3 (July 1876): 371-373.
- Mason, George C. The Life and Works of Gilbert Stuart. New York, 1879: 27, 214.
- "Portraits Painted by Stuart...taken from Mason's Life and Works of Gilbert Stuart." In Exhibition of Portraits Painted by Gilbert Stuart. Exh. cat. Museum of Fine Arts, Boston, 1880: 46, no. 367.
- Bowen, Clarence W., ed. The History of the Centennial Celebration of the Inauguration of George Washington. New York, 1892: 145, no. 142, repro. opp. 256, 441.
- Park 1926, 294, 476-477, no. 491, 901.
- Mount 1964, 255, 370.
- Mount, Charles Merrill. "Gilbert Stuart in Washington; with a Catalogue of His Portraits Painted between December 1803 and July 1805." Records of the Columbia Historical Society of Washington, D.C. 48 (1973): 106.
- Walker, John. National Gallery of Art, Washington. New York, 1975: 382-383, color repro.
- American Paintings: An Illustrated Catalogue. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1980: 231, repro.
- Williams, William James. A Heritage of American Paintings from the National Gallery of Art. New York, 1981: 67, repro. 68, 72.
- Walker, John. National Gallery of Art, Washington. Rev. ed. New York, 1984: 378, no. 536, color repro., as Mrs. Lawrence Lewis.
- Brady, Patricia, ed. George Washington's Beautiful Nelly; The Letters of Eleanor Parke Custis Lewis to Elizabeth Bordley Gibson, 1794-1851. Columbia, South Carolina, 1991: 260-261.
- American Paintings: An Illustrated Catalogue. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1992: 353, repro.
- Miles, Ellen G. American Paintings of the Eighteenth Century. The Collections of the National Gallery of Art Systematic Catalogue. Washington, D.C., 1995: 237-240, color repro. 239.