lower right: .D. TENIERS . FEC.; upper left on drawing tacked to wall, An in ligature: An 1658
Prince Golitzyn, Paris; (sale, Lebrun, Paris, 28 February 1825, no. 40, as Chapeau rouge); (De Fontaine). M. Boursault, Paris; (his sale, at his residence, Coutellier and Paillet, Paris, 7 May 1832, no. 53); purchased by (Falkner), probably for Edmund Higginson [1802-1871], Saltmarshe Castle, near Bromyard, Herefordshire; (his sale, Christie & Manson, London, 4 June 1846, no. 207, as Card Players-Chapeau Rouge); Falkner. Samuel Sandars, Esq.; by inheritance to his wife, Mrs. Samuel Sandars. Alan Rofe, London. (sale, Christie, Manson & Woods, London, 15 March 1929, no. 70); (De Casseres). Ernst Wilhelm Sachs, London; (sale, Sotheby's, London, 24 June 1970, no. 99, as A Tavern Scene ["Le Chapeau Rouge"]); (Terry-Engell Gallery, London); sold October 1972 to Robert H. and Clarice Smith, Washington, D.C.; gift 1975 to NGA.
- Works by the Old Masters. Winter Exhibition, Royal Academy of Arts, London, 1882, no. 85, as Le Chapeau Rouge.
- Works by the Old Masters. Winter Exhibition, Royal Academy of Arts, London, 1908, no. 63, as Le Chapeau Rouge.
- Fine Paintings by Old Masters, Terry-Engell Gallery, London, 1971, no. 25.
- Smith, John. A Catalogue Raisonné of the Works of the Most Eminent Dutch, Flemish and French Painters. 9 vols. London, 1829-1842: 3(1831):385, no. 483; 9(1842):471, no. 210.
- A Descriptive Catalogue of the Gallery of Pictures, Collected by Edmund Higginson, Esq., of Saltmarshe. London, 1842: 31, no. 70.
- "Notable Works of Art now on the Market." The Burlington Magazine 113 (June 1971): unpaginated, pl. 28, repro.
- European Paintings: An Illustrated Catalogue. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1985: 386, repro.
- Kling, Margret. David Teniers the Younger: Paintings, Drawings. Exh. cat. Koninklijk Museum voor Schoone Kunsten, Antwerp, 1991: 266, 91a, repro.
- Bauman and Liedtke 1992, 372, no. 479, repro.
- Southgate, M. Therese. The Art of JAMA: One Hundred Covers and Essays from The Journal of the American Medical Association. St. Louis, 1997: 118-119, 208, color repro.
- Wheelock, Arthur K., Jr. Flemish Paintings of the Seventeenth Century. The Collections of the National Gallery of Art Systematic Catalogue. Washington, D.C., 2005: 245-249, color repro.
- Libby, Alexandra. “From Personal Treasures to Public Gifts: The Flemish Painting Collection at the National Gallery of Art.” In America and the Art of Flanders: Collecting Paintings by Rubens, Van Dyck, and their Circles, edited by Esmée Quodbach. The Frick Collection Studies in the History of Art Collecting in America 5. University Park, 2020: 140, 141 color fig. 81.
- Sort by:
- Results layout: