lower left in black: Oct 12 1892 Homer; upper left verso in graphite: J/ 42428/ Jan 28-16/ Hudson River/ 38327/ m / Adirondacks; upper center verso in blue crayon: N. 13; upper right verso in graphite: 39.1/ 42.1x / 46.8x (circled); center verso in black ink: a good shot; center right verso in red crayon: 124
Marks and Labels
center verso stamped in purple ink: M. K. & Co. / W C No...
(M. Knoedler & Co., New York, 1908); J. R. Andrews, New York, 1908; (American Art Association, 27-28 Jan. 1916, Andrews et. al. sale no. 39); (M. Knoedler & Co., 1916); Charles R. Henschel, New York, 1917; Ruth K. Henschel (Mrs. Charles R. Henschel), New York, 1956; gift to NGA, 1975
Associated NamesHenschel, Charles R., Mrs.
- Eighth Annual Exhibition, Philadelphia Water Color Club, 1910, no. 161 (as Hudson River in the Adirondacks), no. 161
- Sixth Loan Exhibition: Winslow Homer, Albert P. Ryder, Thomas Eakins, Museum of Modern Art, NY, 1930, no. 29
- Winslow Homer 1836-1910, M. Knoedler & Co., NY, 1936, no. 20
- Watercolors and Drawings by Winslow Homer, Institute of Modern Art, Boston, 1941, no. wc-10
- Oils and Watercolors by Winslow Homer, Whitney Museum of American Art, NY, 1944
- Winslow Homer, Worcester Art Museum, 1944, no. 47
- A Loan Exhibition of Winslow Homer for the Benefit of the New York Botanical Garden, Wildenstein & Co., NY, 1947, no. 70
- Winslow Homer in the Adirondacks, Adirondack Museum, Blue Mountain Lake, NY, 1959, no. 21
- Watercolors by Winslow Homer from the Collection of Mrs. Charles R. Henschel, National Gallery of Art, Washington, DC, 6 July-12 Sept. 1962, no. 9
- Winslow Homer in New York State, Storm King Art Center, Mountainville, 1963, no. 54
- Watercolors by Winslow Homer, 1836-1910, Albright-Knox Art Gallery, Buffalo, 1966, no. 29
- Winslow Homer, Whitney Museum of American Art, NY, 1973, no. 130
- Winslow Homer (1836-1910): Watercolors, National Gallery of Art, Washington DC, 1975, no cat.
- Winslow Homer Watercolors, National Gallery of Art, Washington, DC; Amon Carter Museum, Fort Worth, TX; and Yale University Art Gallery, New Haven, CT, 1986, no. 177, repro.
- Winslow Homer, National Gallery of Art, Washington; Museum of Fine Arts, Boston; The Metropolitan Museum of Art, New York (Boston and New York only), 1995-1996, 262-263, no. 161, repro.
- Winslow Homer in the National Gallery of Art, National Gallery of Art, Washington, D.C., 2005-2006, unnumbered brochure.
- Cooper 1986, p.184, fig.177.
- Winslow Homer. Exh. cat. National Gallery of Art, Washington; Museum of Fine Arts, Boston; The Metropolitan Museum of Art, New York, 1995-1996: no. 161.
- Tatham, David. Winslow Homer in the Adirondacks. New York: 1996, 116-117, no. 43.
- Tedeschi, Martha with Kristi Dahm. Watercolors by Winslow Homer: The Color of Light, Art Institute of Chicago, 2008: 203, fig. 14.
- Goodrich, Lloyd and Abigail Booth Gerdts. Record of Works by Winslow Homer. New York, 2014: V, no. 149, p. 122