lower left in black: HOMER 1883
James W. Ellsworth, Chicago, by 1890; (M. Knoedler & Co., nd); Charles R. Henschel, New York, by 1935; Ruth K. Henschel (Mrs. Charles R. Henschel), New York, 1956, gift to NGA, 1975
- Doll & Richards, Boston, [English and Maine subjects], 1-15 Dec. 1883, no. 34 (as Sunlight after a Storm)
- Art Institute of Chicago, [James W. Ellsworth Collection], 5 May-Nov. 1890 (as Surf at Scarboroug, Me.)
- Watercolors and Drawings by Winslow Homer, Institute of Modern Art, 21 June-15 July 1941; California Palace of the Legion of Honor, San Francisco, 9 Aug.-10 Sept. 1941, no. wc-2
- Oils and Watercolors by Winslow Homer, Whitney Museum of American Art, New York, 3 Oct.-2 Nov. 1944
- Water Colors by Winslow Homer from the Collection of Mrs. Charles R. Henschel, National Gallery of Art, Washington, DC, 6 July-12 Sept. 1962, no. 3
- Watercolors by Winslow Homer, 1836-1910, Albright-Knox Art Gallery, Buffalo, 7 July-28 Aug. 1966, no. 17
- NGA Master Drawings 1978, p. 108.
- Winslow Homer, National Gallery of Art, Washington, DC, 15 Oct. 1995-28 Jan. 1996 (National Gallery of Art only, not in catalogue).
- An Amazing Bit of Sleight of Hand: Winslow Homer's Watercolor Techniques, Bowdoin College Museum of Art, Brunswick, 1996, no cat.
- Winslow Homer in the National Gallery of Art, National Gallery of Art, Washington, D.C., 2005-2006, unnumbered brochure, fig. 7.
- Walker, John. National Gallery of Art, Washington. Rev. ed. New York, 1984: 683, no. 1099, color repro.
- Cooper 1986, p.126, fig.116.
- Wilmerding, John. American Marine Painting. Rev. ed. of A History of American Marine Painting, 1968. New York, 1987: 155, 157,160, fig.148.
- National Gallery of Art, Washington. Washington, D.C., 1992: 323, repro.
- "A Summer's Pleasure: Incoming Tide, Scarboro, Maine by Winslow Homer." The American Art Journal XXV, 1993, 63-73.
- Weingrod, Carmi. "Methods and Materials: A Report on Artist's Papers." American Artist, 60 (October 1996): 14 (repr).
- Lévy, Sophie et al. Winslow Homer: Poet of the Sea, Exh. cat. Giverny: Terra Foundation for American Art, 2006, 41, 48-49.
- Tedeschi, Martha with Kristi Dahm. Watercolors by Winslow Homer: The Color of Light, Art Institute of Chicago, 2008: 115, fig. 6.
- Goodrich, Lloyd and Abigail Booth Gerdts. Record of Works by Winslow Homer. New York, 2012: IV.2, no. 1206, p. 258-259