lower left in black: HOMER KEY WEST.1903.; center verso in graphite: Hauling Anchor
(J. W. Young, Chicago, c. 1908); George C. Calvert, Indianapolis, by 1908; (Milch Galleries, New York, by 1926); Charles R. Henschel, New York, 1926; Ruth K. Henschel (Mrs. Charles R. Henschel), New York 1956; gift to NGA, 1975
Associated NamesHenschel, Charles R., Mrs.
- Second Annual Exhibition, Philadelphia Water Color Club, Apr. 3-29, 1905, no. 636 (as Pulling in the Anchor)
- Thirty-eighth Annual Exhibition, American Water Color Society, New York, Mar. 10-27, 1905, no. 26A (as Pulling in the Anchor)
- Memorial Exhibition of Winslow Homer, John Herron Art Institute, Indianapolis Mus. of Art, 15 Nov.-12 Dec. 1911, no. 13 (as Key West)
- Sixth Loan Exhibition: Winslow Homer, Albert P. Ryder, Thomas Eakins, The Museum of Modrn Art, New York, opened 8 May 1930, no. 33.
- Winslow Homer 1836-1910: Loan Exhibtion of Watercolors Commemorating the Centenary of his Birth, M. Knoedler & Co., NY, 20 Jan.-8 Feb. 1936, no. 21
- Watercolors and Drawings by Winslow Homer, Institute of Modern Art, Boston, 21 June-15 July 1941, no. wc-16
- Water Colors by Winslow Homer from the Collection of Mrs. Charles R. Henschel, National Gallery of Art, Washington, DC, 6 July-12 Sept. 1962, no. 17
- Watercolors by Winslow Homer, 1836-1910, Albright-Knox Art Gallery, Buffalo, 7 July-28 Aug. 1966, no. 46
- Winslow Homer Watercolors, National Gallery of Art, Washington, DC, 2 Mar.-11 May 1986, no. 218
- Winslow Homer, National Gallery of Art, Washington; The Metropolitan Museum of Art, New York, 1995-1996, 352-353, no. 220.
- Winslow Homer in the National Gallery of Art, National Gallery of Art, Washington, D.C., 2005-2006, unnumbered brochure, fig. 8.
- Cooper 1986, p.228, fig.218, cover illustration.
- Kopper, Philip. America's National Gallery of Art: A Gift to the Nation. New York, 1991: 293, color repro.
- Brock, Charles. "Winslow Homer." American Art Review 7 (February-March 1995): 101.
- Winslow Homer. Exh. cat. National Gallery of Art, Washington; Museum of Fine Arts, Boston; The Metropolitan Museum of Art, New York, 1995-1996: no. 220.
- Goodrich, Lloyd and Abigail Booth Gerdts. Record of Works by Winslow Homer. New York, 2014: V, no. 1739, p. 345.