lower right in black ink: HOMER 1878
Charles R. Henschel, New York, nd; Ruth K. Henschel (Mrs. Charles R. Henschel), New York, 1956; gift to NGA, 1975.
- Twelfth Annual Exhibition, American Water Color Society, New York, 3 Feb.-1 March 1879, no. 415 (as Girl with Half a Rake) [?, see also no. 723]
- Watercolors by Winslow Homer, 1836-1910, Albright-Knox Art Gallery, Buffalo, 7 July-28 Aug. 1966, no. 9
- Winslow Homer, National Gallery of Art, Washington; The Metropolitan Museum of Art, New York, 1995-1996, 164-166, no. 96.
- Winslow Homer and the Critics: Forging a National Art in the 1870s, The Nelson-Atkins Museum of Art, Kansas City; Los Angeles County Museum of Art; High Museum of Art, Atlanta, 2001-2002, unnumbered catalogue, fig. 116 (shown only in Kansas City).
- Winslow Homer in the National Gallery of Art, National Gallery of Art, Washington, D.C., 2005-2006, unnumbered brochure.
- Winslow Homer. Exh. cat. National Gallery of Art, Washington; Museum of Fine Arts, Boston; The Metropolitan Museum of Art, New York, 1995-1996: no. 96.
- Winslow Homer and the Critics. Exh. cat. Nelson-Atkins Museum of Art, Kansas City, MO; Los Angeles County Museum of Art, Los Angeles; High Museum of Art, Atlanta, 2001-2002: fig. 116.
- Goodrich, Lloyd and Abigail Booth Gerdts. Record of Works by Winslow Homer. New York, 2008: III: no. 722, p. 148-149