The sitter's second wife, Katherine Boyer Coolidge [1755-1829], Boston; her step-granddaughter, Catherine Boyer Coolidge Pomeroy [Mrs. Samuel Wyllys Pomeroy, 1808-1861], Cincinnati, Ohio; deposited with her sister, Hetty Coolidge Haight [Mrs. Benjamin Isaacs Haight, 1812-1905], New York, for her daughter, Clarissa Alsop Pomeroy [1847-1924]; to Clarissa A. Pomeroy's niece, Margaret Burnet "Greta" Pomeroy Clark [Mrs. Phillips Allen Clark, 1866-1938], New York; sold January 1918 to (M. Knoedler & Co., New York); sold 31 January 1918 to Thomas B. Clarke [1848-1931], New York; his estate; sold as part of the Clarke collection on 29 January 1936, through (M. Knoedler & Co., New York), to The A.W. Mellon Educational and Charitable Trust, Pittsburgh; gift 1940 to NGA.
- Western Art Union, Cincinnati, 1849, no. 77.
- Portraits Painted in the United States by Early American Artists, The Union League Club, New York, February 1922, no. 3.
- Portraits by Early American Artists of the Seventeenth, Eighteenth and Nineteenth Centuries, Collected by Thomas B. Clarke, Philadelphia Museum of Art, 1928-1931, unnumbered and unpaginated catalogue.
- Mason, George C. The Life and Works of Gilbert Stuart. New York, 1879: 162.
- MFA 1880, 35, no. 145
- Park 1926, 237-238, no. 187, repro.
- Portraits by Early American Artists of the Seventeenth, Eighteenth and Nineteenth Centuries, Collected by Thomas B. Clarke. Exh. cat. Philadelphia Museum of Art, 1928, unnumbered.
- Salisbury, William. "The Clarke Collection of Paintings." The Antiquarian 12, no. 5 (June): 47, repro.
- Preliminary Catalogue of Paintings and Sculpture. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1941: 188, no. 489.
- Book of Illustrations. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1942: 249, repro. 8.
- Paintings and Sculpture from the Mellon Collection. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1949 (reprinted 1953 and 1958): 142, repro.
- Mount 1964, 366
- American Paintings and Sculpture: An Illustrated Catalogue. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1970: 102, repro.
- American Paintings: An Illustrated Catalogue. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1980: 229, repro.
- American Paintings: An Illustrated Catalogue. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1992: 357, repro.
- Miles, Ellen G. American Paintings of the Eighteenth Century. The Collections of the National Gallery of Art Systematic Catalogue. Washington, D.C., 1995: 263-265, repro. 264.