on house at far side of market square: 1590[?]; lower left: 1597 / A[illegible, possibly remnant of a signature]
Private collection, Berlin, by 1918; (Fritsche, Berlin); purchased c. 1952 by Mr. and Mrs. Earl H. Look, Washington, D.C.; gift 1979 to NGA.
- Vanwesenbeeck, Cees. "Bergen op Zoom in Washington." De Waterschans (March 1984): 13-14, repro.
- European Paintings: An Illustrated Catalogue. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1985: 190, repro., as by Abel Grimmer.
- Bertier de Sauvigny, Reine de. Jacob et Abel Grimmer: Catalogue raisonné. Belgium, 1991: 202, 203, 226, no. 25, repro., as by Abel Grimmer.
- Wheelock, Arthur K., Jr. Flemish Paintings of the Seventeenth Century. The Collections of the National Gallery of Art Systematic Catalogue. Washington, D.C., 2005: 112-116, color repro.
- Libby, Alexandra. “From Personal Treasures to Public Gifts: The Flemish Painting Collection at the National Gallery of Art.” In America and the Art of Flanders: Collecting Paintings by Rubens, Van Dyck, and their Circles, edited by Esmée Quodbach. The Frick Collection Studies in the History of Art Collecting in America 5. University Park, 2020: 140.
- Sort by:
- Results layout: