incised after casting on self-base, next to right rear hoof: 7/15; foundry stamp impressed into the foundry model on rear edge of self-base: CIRE / C. VALSUANI / PERDUE
Marks and Labels
(Alex Reid & Lefèvre Ltd., London), 1959-1960; sold 25 October 1960 to Mr. and Mrs. Paul Mellon, Upperville, Virginia; gift 1980 to NGA.
- XIX and XX Century French Paintings and Drawings, The Lefevre Gallery, London, 1960, no. 38.
- Nineteenth-Century Sculpture, National Gallery of Art, Washington, D.C., 1974, unnumbered checklist.
- Sculpture: An Illustrated Catalogue. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1994: 97, repro.
- Butler, Ruth, and Suzanne Glover Lindsay, with Alison Luchs, Douglas Lewis, Cynthia J. Mills, and Jeffrey Weidman. European Sculpture of the Nineteenth Century. The Collections of the National Gallery of Art Systematic Catalogue. Washington, D.C., 2000: 263-264, color repro.
- National Gallery of Art Special Issue. Connaissance des Arts. Paris, 2000:62.