Key Set Entry
Related Key Set Photographs
“Since I saw you I have been living as I never lived before.—I have gone through a great deal—some very painful hours—but all intensely real.—O’Keeffe is a constant source of wonder to me—like Nature itself—& all fine humans—there are some.—I know some.—And every moment I am full of gratefulness that I am a great fortunate.—O’Keeffe & I are One in a real sense.—The family like her hugely—& we are as free as 291—the real 291.—Everyone laughs at us.—We came up two weeks ago.—She painted some.—I photographed some more.—Some day I’ll show you.—We have no plans.—Every moment is a happy eternity—sometimes—rarely—the moment is of intensest pain—but even that turns into a great glory.—We are both either intensely sane or mad children.—It makes no difference” (Stieglitz to Arthur Dove, 15 August 1918; see Ann Lee Morgan, ed., Dear Stieglitz, Dear Dove , 62).
A print corresponding with this photograph can also be found in the following collection(s):
The J. Paul Getty Museum, Los Angeles, 93.XM.25.25
Philadelphia Museum of Art, 1978-91-1
Yale University Art Gallery, New Haven, 2016.101.244
by Georgia O'Keeffe, on mount, upper left verso, in graphite: OK 505E
Georgia O'Keeffe; gift to NGA, 1980.
Associated NamesO'Keeffe, Georgia
- Two Lives: Georgia O’Keeffe and Alfred Stieglitz—A Conversation in Painting and Photographs, The Phillips Collection, Washington, DC, December 2, 1992–April 4, 1993; IBM Gallery of Science and Art, New York, April 27–June 26, 1993; The Minneapolis Institute of Arts, July 17–September 12, 1993; The Museum of Fine Arts, Houston, October 2–December 5, 1993
- Georgia O'Keeffe, Tate Modern, London, July 6–October 30, 2016; Bank Austria Kunstforum, Vienna, December 7, 2016–March 26, 2017; Art Gallery of Ontario, Toronto, April 22–July 30, 2017
- Peters, Sarah Whitaker. Becoming O'Keeffe: The Early Years. New York, 1991: pl. 97.
- Arrowsmith, Alexandra, Thomas West, and Belinda Rathbone. Two Lives: A Conversation in Paintings and Photographs. Exh. cat. The Phillips Collection, Washington and New York, 1992: 130.
- Greenough, Sarah. Alfred Stieglitz: The Key Set: The Alfred Stieglitz Collection of Photographs. Washington, 2002: vol. 1, cat. 530.