lower right in graphite: W-H- / 1864
Marks and Labels
upper left recto and lower left verso in red ink: J.D.Hatch Jr. stamp (Lugt Supp 2974a)
(Charles F. Libbie auction gallery, Boston, 29 May 1878) [?]; Francis G. Shaw, Chatham, MA, by gift, c. 1890; (Maynard Walker Galleries, c. 1935); John Davis Hatch [1907-1996] (Lugt Supp 2974a), 1936; acquired 1982 by the National Gallery of Art
- Charles F. Libbie, Boston, [auction], [c. 27]-29 May 1878
- Early Winslow Homer, Covering Twenty-five Years from 1864-1889, Maynard Walker Gallery, New York, 19 Oct.-6 Nov. 1953, no. 20
- Winslow Homer: Paintings of the Civil War, The Fine Arts Museums of San Francisco, M. H. de Young Memorial Museum, 2 July-18 Sept. 1988; Portland (Maine) Museum of Art, 8 Oct.-18 Dec. 1988; Amon Carter Museum, Fort Worth, 7 Jan.-12 March 1989, no. 14a
- Winslow Homer and the Civil War: Recent Acquisitions, National Gallery of Art, Washington, Dc, 17 July-21 Sept. 1997.
- Winslow Homer in the National Gallery of Art, National Gallery of Art, Washington, D.C., 2005-2006, unnumbered brochure.
- Hatch, John Davis. 100 American Drawings: Loan Exhibition from the Collection of John Davis Hatch. London: Heim Gallery, 1976, no. 66.
- Goodrich, Lloyd, and Abigail Booth Gerdts. Record of Works by Winslow Homer, vol. 1. New York: Spanierman Gallery, 2005, p. 290, no. 235.