The artist [1882-1925]; by inheritance to his wife, Emma S. Bellows [1884-1959]; her estate; purchased July 1969 through (H.V. Allison & Co., New York) by Paul Mellon, Upperville, Virginia; gift 1983 to NGA.
Associated NamesMellon, Paul, Mr.
- George Bellows, H.V. Allison & Co., New York, 1969, no. 7, cover repro.
- Gifts to the Nation: Selected Acquisitions from the Collections of Mr. and Mrs. Paul Mellon, National Gallery of Art, Washington, D.C., 1986, unnumbered checklist, repro.
- Sport in Art from American Museums, The National Art Museum of Sport [inaugural exhibition], Indianapolis; Phoenix Art Museum; Corcoran Gallery of Art, Washington, D.C; IBM Gallery of Science and Art, 1991-1992, no. 36, repro.
- George Bellows in Newport and Beyond, Newport Art Museum, 2000.
- George Bellows, National Gallery of Art, Washington; The Metropolitan Museum of Art, New York; Royal Academy of Arts, London, 2012-2013, pl. 45 (shown only in New York).
- Peck, Glenn C. George Bellows' Catalogue Raisonné. H.V. Allison & Co. URL: http://www.hvallison.com. Accessed 16 August 2016.
- Braider, Donald. George Bellows and the Ashcan School of Painting. New York, 1971: 121.
- Young, Mahonri Sharp. The Eight. New York, 1973: 126, color pl. 53.
- Wilmerding, John. American Masterpieces from the National Gallery of Art. Rev. ed. National Gallery of Art, Washington, D.C., 1988: 20, repro.
- Rhodes, Reilly, ed. Sport in Art from American Museums. Exh. cat. The National Museum of Sport, New York, 1991: no. 36.
- American Paintings: An Illustrated Catalogue. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1992: 32, repro.
- Clark, Carol, and Allen Guttmann. "Artists and Athletes." Journal of Sports History 22 (Summer 1995): 105-107, repro.