upper right verso on hinge in graphite, circled: 82
Possibly Dpmenico Tiepolo; possibly sold to Count Bernardino Coriani-Algaroti; possibly by whom sold 1852 to Edward Cheney [1803-1884]; his brother in law Alfred Capel-Cure; 9sold, Sotheby's, London, 29 April 1885, no. 1024); Marques of Bredalbane, Langdon House, Duns, Berwichshire; (sale, Dowells, Edinburgh, 25 March 1925, no. 1004); purchased by John Grant, Edinburgh; purchased by Arthur Kay, Edinburgh c. 1926; (his sale, Christie's, London, 8-9 April 1943, part of no. 248); Frederick Stern; Julius S. Held [1905-2002], Old Bennington, VT; 1984 to NGA.
Associated NamesHeld, Julius S., Professor
- Selections from the Drawing Collection of Mr. and Mrs. Julius S. Held, University Art Gallery, Binghamton; traveling exhibition, 1970, no. 135.
- The Glory of Venice: Art in the Eighteenth Century, Royal Academy of Arts, London, and National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1994, 206, 207, 4501, no. 122 (repro. p. 206)(entry by Colin Harrison).
- "Il Gran Teatro del Mondo: L'Anima e il Volto del Settecento", Palazzo Reale, Milan, 2003-2004, no. II.91.
- The Poetry of Light - La poesia della luce: Venetian Drawings from the National Gallery of Art, Museo Correr, Venice, Venice, 2014 - 2015, no. 73.
- Selections from the Drawing Collection of Mr. and Mrs. Julius S. Held. Exh. cat. University Art Gallery, Binghamton, 1970: 26.
- Caricature and its Role in Graphic Satire. Exh. cat. Museum of Art, Rhode Island School of Design, 1971: 30.
- The Glory of Venice. Exh. cat. Royal Academy of Arts, London; National Gallery of Art, Washington; Museo del Settecento Veneziano - Ca'Rezzonico, Venice; Gallerie dell'Accademia, Venice, 1994-1995: 206, 501, no. 122.
- Tiepolo and His Circle. Drawings in American Collections. Fogg Art Museum, Cambirdge, and Pierpont Morgan Library, New York. Cambridge, 1996: 220-221.
- Caroli, Flavio. Il Gran Teatro del Mondo. Skira, Milan, 2003: 474-475.
- Sort by:
- Results layout: