lower left in gray gouache: Winslow Homer 1882; upper center verso in black chalk by unknown hand: G-3 Doll & Richards 48
Mr. Charles W. Gould, NY; (E. & A. Milch, Inc., New York); Solton Engel, New York; wife, Julia Engel by bequest, New York; gift to NGA, 1984
- Brooklyn Art Association, 14-25 March 1882, no. 258 (as Fisherman's Daughters) [?]
- Fifteenth Annual Exhibition, 23 Jan.-25 Feb. 1882, American Water Color Society, New York, no. 648 (as Far Away from Billingsgate)
- Doll & Richards, Boston, [English and Maine subjects], 1-15 Dec. 1883, no. 48 (as Far Away from Billingsgate)
- New England Manufacturers' and Mechanics' Institute, Boston, 5 Sept.-3 Nov. 1883, no. 364 (as Fisherman's Daughter, English Coast) [?]
- Reichard & Co., New York, c. 2-15 Jan. 1891
- Twenty-fourth Annual Exhibition, American Water Color Society, New York, Feb. 1891, no. 364 (as Mending Nets)
- Twenty-fourth exhibition of the American Watercolor Society, New York, 1891.
- Winslow Homer Centenary Exhibition, Whitney Museum of American Art, 15 Dec. 1936-15 Jan. 1937, no. 54
- Winslow Homer: A Retrospective Exhibition, National Gallery of Art, Washington, DC, 23 Nov. 1958-4 Jan. 1959; Metropolitan Museum of Art, New York, 29 Jan.-8 March 1959, no. 111
- Winslow Homer, Whitney Museum of American Art, New York, 3 April-3 June 1973, no. 100, (Whitney, only)
- Graphic Survey Show, National Gallery of Art, Washington D.C., 1986-1987.
- Winslow Homer: All the Cullercoats Pictures, The Northern Centre for Contemporary Art, Sunderland, England, 25 July-11 Nov. 1988, no. 32
- Winslow Homer, National Gallery of Art, Washington; Museum of Fine Arts, Boston; The Metropolitan Museum of Art, New York, 1995-1996, 213-215, no. 124.
- Winslow Homer in the National Gallery of Art, National Gallery of Art, Washington, D.C., 2005-2006, unnumbered brochure.
- Downes, William Howe. The Life and Works of Winslow Homer, Boston and New York, 1911: 150-151, 161, fig. p. 96.
- NGA Homer 1958, 111.
- Cooper 1986, p.95, fig.76.
- Winslow Homer. Exh. cat. National Gallery of Art, Washington; Museum of Fine Arts, Boston; The Metropolitan Museum of Art, New York, 1995-1996: no. 124.
- Unger, Miles. The Watercolors of Winslow Homer. New York, 2001: 104-105.
- Lévy, Sophie et al. Winslow Homer: Poet of the Sea, Exh. cat. Giverny: Terra Foundation for American Art, 2006: 76
- Tedeschi, Martha with Kristi Dahm. Watercolors by Winslow Homer: The Color of Light, Art Institute of Chicago, 2008: 57, fig. 24.
- Goodrich, Lloyd and Abigail Booth Gerdts. Record of Works by Winslow Homer. New York, 2012: IV.1, no. 1100. p. 100-102
- American Watercolor in the Age of Homer and Sargent. Exh. cat. Philadelphia Museum of Art, 2017: 132, no. 102.