lower left: J.L. forain
Mme. Forain [née Jeanne Bosc, 1865-1954]. Armand François Paul des Friches, comte Doria [1824-1896], Château d'Orrouy. (Arthur Tooth and Sons, London); sold 10 December 1965 to Mr. Paul Mellon, Upperville, VA; gift 1985 to NGA.
- French Paintings from the Collections of Mr. and Mrs. Paul Mellon and Mrs. Mellon Bruce, National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1966, no. 128, repro
- Jean-Louis Forain (1852 - 1931): La Comédie parisienne, Musée du Petit Palais, Paris; The Dixon Gallery and Gardens, Memphis, 2011, no. 75 (French catalogue); pl. 81 (English catalogue), repros.
- Eblouissants reflets: cent chefs-d'oeuvre impressionistes, Musée des Beaux-Arts de Rouen, 2013, no. 57, repro.
Exhibition History Notes
 According to Paul Mellon records in NGA curatorial files, this painting was exhibited at the Galerie Pigalle in Paris in 1931, presumably at the Forain exhibition held December 1931 to January 1932.
- Wasell, Nancy Michelle. Jean Louis Forain, the Painter. M.A. Thesis, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, 1969:37, repro.
- Southgate, M. Therese. The Art of JAMA II: Covers and Essays from The Journal of the American Medical Association. Chicago, 2001: 12-13, color repro.
- Sort by:
- Results layout: