lower left: Claude Monet 82
Purchased January 1883 from the artist by (Durand-Ruel, Paris). (Arthur Tooth & Sons, London) in 1939. Lady John Hope; sold 1953 to Mr. Paul Mellon, Upperville, VA; gift 1985 to NGA.
- Manet-Monet, Galerie Miethke, Vienna, 1910, no. 28.
- French Paintings from the Collections of Mr. and Mrs. Paul Mellon and Mrs. Mellon Bruce, National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1966, no. 88, repro
- French Paintings from the Collection of Mr. and Mrs. Paul Mellon, Virginia Museum of Fine Arts, Richmond, 1967, no cat.
- Gifts to the Nation: Selected Acquisitions from the Collections of Mr. and Mrs. Paul Mellon, National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1986, unnumbered checklist
- Impressionists at the Waterside: Depicting Urban Resorts: Paris, the Seine, and Normandy, Tokyo Fuji Art Museum; Fukuoka City Museum; The Museum of Kyoto, 2013-2014, no. 73, repro.
- Looking at Monet: The Great Impressionist and His Influence on Austrian Art, Lower Belvedere, Orangery, Vienna, 2014-2015, no. 28, repro., as On the Cliff at Dieppe, Cliffs at Dieppe, and Sur la falaise à Dieppe.
- Wildenstein, Daniel. Claude Monet. Biographie et catalogue raisonné. 5 vols. Lausanne and Paris, 1974-1991: 2:no. 754, as Sur la Falaise à Dieppe.