lower left: Prendergast
The artist [1858-1924]; gift 1924 to his brother, Charles Prendergast [1869-1948], Westport, Connecticut; by inheritance to his wife, Eugenie Prendergast, Westport, Connecticut; purchased June 1984 by Mr. and Mrs. Paul Mellon, Upperville, Virginia; gift 1985 to NGA.
Associated NamesMellon, Paul, Mr.
- Possibly Maurice Prendergast Memorial Exhibition, Whitney Museum of American Art, New York, 1934, no. 109.
- Selections: 1820-1920, Walker Galleries, New York, 1940, no. 6.
- Gifts to the Nation: Selected Acquisitions from the Collections of Mr. and Mrs. Paul Mellon, National Gallery of Art, Washington, D.C., 1986, unnumbered checklist.
- An Enduring Legacy: Masterpieces from the Collection of Mr. and Mrs. Paul Mellon, National Gallery of Art, Washington, D.C., 1999-2000, no cat.
- Wilmerding, John. American Masterpieces from the National Gallery of Art. Rev. ed. National Gallery of Art, Washington, D.C., 1988: 164, no. 59, color repro.
- Clark, Carol, Nancy Mowll Mathews, and Gwendolyn Owens. Maurice Brazil Prendergast and Charles Prendergast: A Catalogue Raisonné. Williamstown, Massachusetts: Williams College Museum of Art, 1990, p. 310, no. 439.
- American Paintings: An Illustrated Catalogue. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1992: 266, repro.