on wax along outside of left foot: Degas; carved on top of wood base: 73
The artist [1834-1917]; his heirs; Adrien-Aurélien Hébrard [1865-1937], Paris; his daughter, Nelly Hébrard [1904-1985], Paris; consigned 1955 to (M. Knoedler & Company, Inc., New York); purchased May 1956 by Paul Mellon, Upperville, Virginia; gift 1985 to NGA.
- Edgar Degas 1834-1917: Original Wax Sculptures, M. Knoedler & Company, Inc., New York, 1955, no. 43 (repro. is mis-labelled as no. 42; the repro. labelled as no. 43 is also mis-labelled and is actually a repro. of no. 53).
- Sculpture by Degas, Virginia Museum of Fine Arts, Richmond, 1956.
- Wax Sculptures by Degas, Sculptures and Drawings by Rodin, National Gallery of Art, Washington, D.C., 1965-1966, no cat.
- Pingeot, Anne. Degas Sculptures. Paris, 1991: no. 11.
- Sculpture: An Illustrated Catalogue. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1994: 67, repro.
- Campbell, Sara. "A Catalogue of Degas' Bronzes." Apollo 142 (August 1995): 10-48, no. 5.
- Lindsay, Suzanne Glover, Daphne S. Barbour, and Shelley G. Sturman. Edgar Degas Sculpture. The Collections of the National Gallery of Art Systematic Catalogue. Washington, D.C., 2010: no. 27, 186-190, color repro.