on front proper right corner of self-base: Degas [stamped replica of artist's signature]; in rear proper left corner of self-base: CIRE/PERDUE/A.A. HEBRARD; stamped adjacent to foundry mark: 64/Q
Marks and Labels
FM: A.A. Hebrard
(Adrien-Aurélien Hébrard [1865-1937], Paris). Possibly sold or consigned to (Max Kaganovitch, Paris), by 1949; sold 4 September 1951 through (Frankart S.A., Switzerland) to (Alex Reid & Lefèvre, London). Possibly sold to (Curt Valentin, New York); sold 1955 to (M. Knoedler & Co., New York); sold 1956 to (Paul Rosenberg & Co., New York). sold, apparently after 1958, to Dr. Hugo Tesoriere; (sale, Sotheby's, London, 24-25 November 1964, 1st day, no. 58); purchased by (Hector Brame, Paris) for Paul Mellon [1907-1999], Upperville, Virginia; gift 1985 to NGA.
- Probably [Degas exhibition], Galerie Max Kaganovitch, Paris, 1949.
- Probably [Degas exhibition], Kunstmuseum, Bern, 1951, no. 204.
- Probably An Exhibition of Works by Edgar Hilaire Germain Degas 1834-1917, Los Angeles County Museum, 1958, no. 103, repro.
- Breaking the Mold: Sculpture in Paris from Daumier to Rodin, The Jane Voorhees Zimmerli Art Museum, Rutgers, The State University of New Jersey, New Brunswick, 2005-2006, unnumbered catalogue, fig. 263.
- Rewald, John. Degas's Complete Sculpture: Catalogue Raisonné. San Francisco, 1990: no. XXV, repro.
- Pingeot, Anne. Degas Sculptures. Paris, 1991: no. 28.
- Sculpture: An Illustrated Catalogue. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1994: 66, repro.
- Campbell, Sara. "A Catalogue of Degas' Bronzes." Apollo 142 (August 1995): 42, no. 64.
- Czestochowski, Joseph S., and Anne Pingeot. Degas--Sculptures. Catalogue Raisonné of the Bronzes. Memphis, 2002: 247.
- Lindsay, Suzanne Glover, Daphne S. Barbour, and Shelley G. Sturman. Edgar Degas Sculpture. The Collections of the National Gallery of Art Systematic Catalogue. Washington, D.C., 2010: no. 35, 220-221, color repro.
- Barbour, Daphne, and Shelley Sturman. "Casting Degas's Sculpture into Bronze: A Closer Look" In Degas, Daphne Barbour and Suzanne Quillen Lomax, eds. Facture. Conservation, Science, Art History 3 (2017): 78-111, esp. 85-86, figs. 6, 7.
- Sort by:
- Results layout: