lower left in charcoal: HM / 37
(Pierre Matisse Gallery, New York), by 1948; T. Edward Hanley [1895-1969], Bradford, PA, at least until 1968; (E.V. Thaw and Co., New York); purchased June 1970 by Mr. and Mrs. Paul Mellon, Upperville, VA; gift to NGA, 1985.
- Henri Matisse, Philadelphia Museum of Art, 1948, no. 140.
- Paintings and Drawings from the Hanley Collection, Wildenstein & Co., New York and the Fogg Art Museum, Cambridge, 1961-62, no. 91.
- 20th Century Master Drawings, Guggenheim Museum and tour, 1963-64, no. 83.
- Selectiond from the Collection of Dr. and Mrs. T. Edward Hanley, Museum of the Southwest, Midland, TX, DeYoung Museum, and Denver Museum of Art, 1967-68.
- Selections from the Collection of Dr. and Mrs. T. Edward Hanley, Bradford, PA, Gallery of Modern Art and Philadelphia Museum of Art, 1967.
- Works from the Hanley Collection, Columbus Gallery of Fine Arts, Columbus, OH, 1968, no. 171.
- Dessins de Matisse, Musée National d'Art Moderne, Paris, 1975.
- Gifts to the Nation: Selected Acquisitions from the Collections of Mr. and Mrs. Paul Mellon, National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1986, unnumbered checklist.
- A Century of Drawing, National Gallery of Art, Washington, 2001-2002, no. 67.
- A Century of Drawing. Exh. cat. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 2001-2002: no. 67.