upper left reverse: 1947 / MARK ROTHKO
The artist [1903-1970]; his estate; consigned 1970 to (Marlborough Gallery, Inc., New York); transferred 1977 back to the artist's estate; transferred 1979 to The Mark Rothko Foundation, Inc., New York; gift 1986 to NGA.
Associated NamesRothko Foundation, Inc., Mark, The
- Extended loan for use by Ambassador Robert H. Pelletreau, U.S. Embassy residence, Cairo, Egypt, 1991-1994.
- Extended loan for use by Secretary Roderick R. Paige, U.S. Department of Education, Washington, D.C., 2001-2005.
- Mark Rothko: The Decisive Decade, 1940-1950, Columbia Museum of Art, South Carolina; Columbus Museum of Art, Ohio; Denver Art Museum; The Arkansas Arts Center, Little Rock, 2012-2014, no. 37, repro.
- American Paintings: An Illustrated Catalogue. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1992: 312, repro.
- Anfam, David. Mark Rothko: The Works on Canvas: Catalogue Raisonné. New Haven and London, 1998: no. 357, repro.
- Loos, Ted. “Rothko’s Journey to His Fields of Color, in Full View.” New York Times 162, no. 56,082 (March 21, 2013): F24, color repro.
- Langley, Allison, and Suzanne Quillen Lomax. "Mark Rothko's Multiforms, 1946-1950: Transforming the Painted Surface." Facture 2 (2015): 111-137, Table 1 no. 6.
- Sort by:
- Results layout: