The artist [1903-1970]; his estate; consigned 1970 to (Marlborough Gallery, Inc., New York); transferred 1977 back to the artist's estate; transferred 1979 to The Mark Rothko Foundation, Inc., New York; gift 1986 to NGA.
Associated NamesRothko Foundation, Inc., Mark, The
- Extended loan for use by Ambassador Allen Blinken, U.S. Embassy residence, Brussels, Belgium, 1994-1998.
- The Surrealists in Exile and the Origin of the New York School, Museo Nacional Centro de Arte Reina Sofia, Madrid; Musée d'Art Moderne et Contemporain, Strasbourg, 1999-2000, unnumbered catalogue, repro.
- Extended loan for use by the U.S. ambassador, U.S. Embassy residence, Dublin, Ireland, 2007-2009.
- Extended loan for use by Secretary Shaun Donovan, U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development, Washington, D.C., 2009-2014 (with two temporary returns to NGA).
- Extended loan for use by Director Shaun Donovan, U.S. Office of Management and Budget, Washington, D.C., 2014-2016.
- American Paintings: An Illustrated Catalogue. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1992: 310, repro.
- Anfam, David. Mark Rothko: The Works on Canvas: Catalogue Raisonné. New Haven and London, 1998: no. 350, repro.
- Langley, Allison, and Suzanne Quillen Lomax. "Mark Rothko's Multiforms, 1946-1950: Transforming the Painted Surface." Facture 2 (2015): 111-137, fig. 9 (detail), Table 1 no. 4.
- Sort by:
- Results layout: