lower left reverse: MARK ROTHKO
The artist [1903-1970]; his estate; consigned 1970 to (Marlborough Gallery, Inc., New York); transferred 1977 back to the artist's estate; transferred 1979 to The Mark Rothko Foundation, Inc., New York; gift 1986 to NGA.
- Mark Rothko: The Mural Projects, National Gallery of Art, Washington, D.C., 2003-2007.
- Rothko: The Late Series, Tate Modern, London; Kawamura Memorial Museum of Art, Sakura-shi, Japan, 2008-2009, unnumbered checklist, repro. (Sakura only).
- Kellein, Thomas. Mark Rothko: Kaaba in New York. Exh. cat. Kunsthalle, Basel, 1989: 81, repro. (repro. is incorrectly inverted, showing top of painting as the bottom).
- Grunenberg, Christoph. Mark Rothko. Washington, D.C., 1991: 17, fig. 14 (incorrect image, painting reproduced is NGA 1985.38.5).
- American Paintings: An Illustrated Catalogue. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1992: 324, repro. (repro. is incorrectly inverted, showing top of painting as the bottom).
- Anfam, David. Mark Rothko: The Works on Canvas: Catalogue Raisonné. New Haven and London, 1998: no. 655, repro.