by later hand, upper center verso in graphite: Evans / 38.2253 / #79; by later hand, upper right verso in graphite: WE.210; lower right verso: Evans estate stamp w/ inventory # II-128 added in graphite; by later hand, lower left verso in graphite: [#928 erased but still visible] / #356
Lunn Limited, New York, NY; purchased with donated funds by NGA, 1989.
- Walker Evans: Subway Portraits and Other Recent Acquisitions, National Gallery of Art, Washington; Addison Gallery of American Art, Andover, 1991-1992.
- Walker Evans, The Metropolitan Museum of Art, New York; San Francisco Museum of Modern Art, San Francisco; The Museum of Fine Arts, Houston, Houston, 2000 - 2001, unnumbered catalogue.
- In Light of the Past: Celebrating Twenty-Five Years of Collecting Photographs at the National Gallery of Art, Washington, DC, May 3 – July 26, 2015
- Szarkowski, John. Walker Evans. New York, 1971: p. 129.
- Walker Evans: Photographs for the Farm Security Administration, 1935-1938. New York, 1973: no. 198.
- Walker Evans: First and Last. New York, 1978: p. 69.
- Thompson, Jerry L. Walker Evans at Work. New York, 1982: p. 33.
- Greenough 1991, pl. 11.