all on mount: lower center in black ink: WILD IRIS. MAINE-1927 / PHOTOGRAPH BY / PAUL STRAND / RETURN TO / PAUL STRAND, 314 W. 83 ST. N.Y.C.; all by later hand, on mount: upper left verso in graphite: EW-MF-#161 TI; upper right verso in graphite: #228 / Safe 1 / (D); center verso in graphite: -4 3/4- / 133 no rule / 4 / By permission of Paul Strand
Paul Strand Archive, Aperture Foundation, Millerton, NY; Southwestern Bell Corporation, St. Louis, MO; gift to NGA, 1990.
- Greenough 1990, 65 (recto only exhibited).
- Paul Strand: An American Vision, National Gallery of Art; The Art Institute of Chicago; Saint Louis Art Museum; The Museum of Fine Arts, Houston; Whitney Museum of American Art, New York; The Fine Arts Museums of San Francisco, San Francisco; Victoria and Albert Museum, 1990 - 1992, unnumbered catalogue.
- Modern Art and America: Alfred Stieglitz and His New York Galleries, National Gallery of Art, Washington, 2001, no. 107, as Wild Iris, Maine.
- Newhall, Nancy. Paul Strand. Photographs 1915-1945, New York, 1945: cover (recto only).
- Paul Strand, vol. I, Zurich, 1987: pl.27 (recto only).
- Greenough 1990, p. 158, illus. p.65 (recto only).
- Modern Art and America: Alfred Stieglitz and His New York Galleries. Exh. cat. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 2001: no. 107.