cast in on top of base, along edge parallel to extended left leg: A BARTHOLDI
Brigadier James Orme M. Ashton, O.B.E. [1908-1989], Welston Court, Milton, Tenby, Wales; (Thomas Agnew & Sons, London), by 1990; purchased 15 February 1991 by NGA.
- Art for the Nation: Gifts in Honor of the 50th Anniversary of the National Gallery of Art, National Gallery of Art, Washington, D.C., 1991, supplement to catalogue, color repro.
- Agnew's 1982-1992. Exh. cat. Thomas Agnew & Sons, Ltd., London, 1992: 192, pl. 174.
- National Gallery of Art. 1991 Annual Report. Washington, D.C., 1991: 16, repro. 17.
- Sculpture: An Illustrated Catalogue. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1994: 24, repro.
- Butler, Ruth, and Suzanne Glover Lindsay, with Alison Luchs, Douglas Lewis, Cynthia J. Mills, and Jeffrey Weidman. European Sculpture of the Nineteenth Century. The Collections of the National Gallery of Art Systematic Catalogue. Washington, D.C., 2000: 4-7, color repro.