lower left in pen and brown ink: AD
Prince Heinrich Lubomirski, Przeworsk, Poland [1770-1850], by 1823; transferred by his heirs to the Lubomirski Museum in the Ossolinski Library, Lemberg (now Lviv, Ukraine) 1869 (inv. 8296); on 2 January 1940, by decree of the People's Commissars of the Ukranian Soviet Socialist Republic, the Ossolinski Library ceased as a separate institution and was combined with other libraries into the L'vov branch of the Library of the Ukranian Academy of Sciences; German troops took L'vov in June 1941, and in July K. Muhlmann, the German special representative for works of art, took the Lubomirski Dürer drawings to Adolf Hitler in Berlin; in the possession of the German military until 1945, mainly at the Reich Chancellery; discovered in a salt mine near Salzburg, Austria, and taken to the Munich Central Collecting Point, April 1945; restituted to Prince Georg Lubomirski, Switzerland, 1950; (Colnaghi's, London, 1954); Dr. and Mrs. Vitale Bloch (sale, London, Sotheby's, 28 June 1962, lot 87); private collection, Nuremberg; (Rolf Kistner, Nuremberg); purchased by Ian Woodner, New York, 14 May 1985; by inheritance to his daughters, Andrea and Dian Woodner, New York, 1990; gift to NGA, 1991.
- Albrecht Dürer Ausstellung, Germanisches Museum, Nuremberg, 1928, no. 359.
- Exhibition of Old Master Drawings, P.&D. Colnaghi, London, 1957, no. 27.
- German Art, 1400-1800 from Collections in Great Britain, Manchester City Art Gallery, Manchester, 1961, no. 113.
- Albrecht Dürer, 1471-1971, Germanisches Nationalmuseum, Nuremberg, 1971, no. 480.
- Dibujos de los siglos XIV al XX: Colección Woodner, Museo del Prado, Madrid, 1986-87, no. 61.
- Meisterzeichnungen aus Sechs Jahrhunderten: Die Sammlung Ian Woodner, Haus der Kunst, Munich only, 1986, no. III.
- Master Drawings: The Woodner Collection, Royal Academy of Arts, London, 1987, no. 46.
- Master Drawings from the Woodner Collection, Metropolitan Museum of Art, New York, 1990, no. 57.
- Dürer to Diebenkorn: Recent Acquisitions of Works of Art on Paper, National Gallery of Art, Washington, D.C., 1992, no. 2.
- The Touch of the Artist: Master Drawings from the Woodner Collections, National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1995-1996, no. 18.
- Six Centuries/Six Artists, National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1997.
- Master Drawings from the Woodner Collections, National Gallery of Art, Washington, D.C., 2006 - 2007.
- Albrecht Dürer: Master Drawings, Watercolors, and Prints from the Albertina. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 2013 (exhibited hors catalogue).
- The Woodner Collections: Master Drawings from Seven Centuries, NGA, 2017.
- Richler, Martha. National Gallery of Art, Washington: A World of Art. London, 1997: 56-57, fig. 16.
- Robison, Andrew. "The Drawings of Albrecht Dürer." In exh. cat. Albrecht Dürer: Master Drawings, Watercolors, and Prints from the Albertina. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 2013: 28, repr. p. 31 (color).