Sir John Charles Robinson [1824-1913], London; sold to John Malcolm [1805-1893]; by inheritance to his son-in-law, Alfred E. Gathorne-Hardy; by descent to his son, Geoffrey Gathorne-Hardy; gift to his cousin, Robert Gathorne-Hardy; (sale, Sotheby's, London, 28 April 1976, no. 14); Armand Hammer, Los Angeles; gift 1991 to NGA.
- An Exhibition of Drawings by Michelangelo Belonging to H.M the Queen, the Ashmolean Museum, the British Museum and other English Collections, British Museum, London, 1953, no. 128.
- Between Renaissance and Baroque: European Art, 1520-1600, City Art Gallery, Manchester, 1965, no. 338.
- Loan Exhibition of Drawings by Old Masters from the Collection of Mr. Geoffrey Gathorne-Hardy, P.& D. Colnaghi & Co., Ltd., London, 1971; Ashmolean Museum, Oxford, no. 9.
- Drawings by Michelangelo, British Museum, London, 1975, no. 156.
- Exhibited with the Armand Hammer collection from 1976, starting with Tennessee Fine Arts Center at Cheekwood, Nashville, 1976.
- Old Master Drawings from American Collections, Los Angeles County Museum of Art, 1976.
- Old Master Drawings from the Gathorne-Hardy Collection, Sotheby & Co., London, 1976, no. 14.
- Master Drawings from the Collection of the National Gallery of Art and Promised Gifts, National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1978, p. 40.
- Michelangelo: Draftsman, National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1988, no. 56 (recto only).