lower left in black watercolor: Winslow Homer NA.
James J. Higginson, New York, 1887; Dorothy Higginson Weekes (Mrs. Arthur D. Weekes), Oyster Bay, New York, his daughter, by 1941; James Higginson Weekes, Oyster Bay, New York, and Kilbridge, Ireland, her son, by 1953; (Sotheby Parke-Bernet, Los Angeles, 15 June 1977, sale 209, no. 791); Nancy Voorhees, Woodbridge, VA; gift to NGA 1992.
- Dürer to Diebenkorn: Recent Acquisitions of Art of Paper, National Gallery of Art, Washington, D.C., 1992, no. 59.
- Obras Maestras de la National Gallery of Art, Museo Nacional de Antropologia, Mexico City, 1996, 138-139.
- Winslow Homer and the Civil War: Recent Acquisitions, National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1997.
- Winslow Homer in the National Gallery of Art, National Gallery of Art, Washington, D.C., 2005-2006, unnumbered brochure.
- Goodrich, Lloyd and Abigail Booth Gerdts. Record of Works by Winslow Homer. New York, 2012: IV.2, no. 1397, p. 462-463