lower right: A50; upper right reverse, first line underlined: Homage to the Square: / Light Rising / Albers '50; upper right reverse (underneath the title, signature, and date) handwritten on an area of the support painted to provide a smooth writing surface: Ground: 5 coats of Luminall / with ["either" or "little"] linseed oil, varnish, + turpentine / paints used (from center): / Barium Yellow (Permanent Pigment) / ["Illustrators" ?] Gray II (Grumlacher) / Mixture of: / Permalba (Weber) / + Permanent Blue (Pretested) / all applied in one primary coat, / without any painting medium / varnished with Grumlacher Matt Varnish / Sommer 59 all varnish removed / and center scraped down, the [_sic_] covered with / 2 layers of Barium Yellow (permanent pigment) / after thourough [_sic_] drying / varnished with Metacrylate resin in Xylene / varnish: P.V.A in Toluene [Tolvene?] - 1970 Charles Tauss
(Mary Callery, New York). (Stephen Mazoh & Co. Inc., New York); sold 1972 to Robert and Jane Meyerhoff, Phoenix, Maryland; gift 1992 to NGA.
- Selections from the Robert and Jane Meyerhoff Collection, Baltimore Museum of Art, 1973.
- The Robert and Jane Meyerhoff Collection: 1945 to 1995, National Gallery of Art, Washington, D.C., 1996, no. 1, color repro.
- Albers and Moholy-Nagy: From the Bauhaus to the New World", Tate Modern, London; Kunsthalle Bielefeld; Whitney Museum of American Art, New York, 2006-2007, no. 116, repro.
- The Robert and Jane Meyerhoff Collection: Selected Works, National Gallery of Art, Washington, D.C., 2009-2010, not in catalogue.
- Sundell, Nina. The Robert and Jane Meyerhoff Collection 1958-1979. Baltimore, 1980: 4, color repro.
- The Robert and Jane Meyerhoff Collection: 1945 to 1995. Exh. cat. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1996: no. 1.