lower left in plate: A Ostade 1652; by later hand, lower right verso in graphite: 46285; by later hand, lower right verso in brown ink: J.56.; by later hand, lower left verso in graphite: 1319/49; by later hand, upper left verso in graphite: 64; center verso in graphite: 3[9?] / N. 31.
Pierre Mariette (1634-1716), Paris (Lugt 1788-1790); Emile-Louis Galichon (1829-1875), Paris (Lugt 1058); George Usslaub (b. 1845), Marseille (Lugt 1221); Dr. Walter Beck (b. 1895), Berlin (Lugt 2603b); Dr. Ruth B. Benedict (1913-1993), Washington; bequest to NGA, 1994.
- A Discerning Eye: Prints and Drawings Given by Ruth B. Benedict, National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1994, no. 31.
- Scenes of Daily Life: Genre Prints from the Housebook Master to Rembrandt van Rijn, National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1996.
- Hollstein, F.W.H. et al. German engravings, etchings and woodcuts ca. 1400-1700. 8 vols. Amsterdam: Menno Hertzberger, 1954-1868. Dutch and Flemish etchings, engravings and woodcuts, ca. 1450-1700. Vols. I-XV, XVIII, XIX. Amsterdam: Menno Hertzberge
- Godefroy, Louis. The Complete Etchings of Adriaen van Ostade. San Francisco, 1990.
- A Discerning Eye: Prints and Drawings Given by Ruth B. Benedict. Exh. cat. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1994: no. 31.