lower center in plate: Rembrandt f. 1642; by later hand, lower left verso in graphite: [?]2.0.0; by later hands, lower left verso: (two sets of numbers, both undeciphered)
English private collection, possibly Charles Scarisbrick (Lugt 522); Dr. Ruth B. Benedict (1913-1993), Washington; bequest to NGA, 1994.
- A Discerning Eye: Prints and Drawings Given by Ruth B. Benedict, National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1994, no. 24.
- Strokes of Genius: Rembrandt's Prints and Drawings, National Gallery of Art, Washington, D.C.
- Hind, Arthur M. A Catalogue of Rembrandt's Etchings. London: Methuen and Co. Ltd., 1923.
- White, Christopher and Karel G. Boon. Rembrandt's Etchings. 2 vols. Amsterdam: Van Gendt & Co., 1969.
- The New Hollstein Dutch & Flemish Etchings, Engravings and Woodcuts, 1450-1700. Rotterdam: Sound & Vision Interactive, 1993: no. 212, ii/iii.
- A Discerning Eye: Prints and Drawings Given by Ruth B. Benedict. Exh. cat. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1994: no. 24.